Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unauthorized activity on license

Quote Originally Posted by Jraef View Post
    This by the way is not the first time I've seen this brought up in electrical forums. Some states have requirements that contractors filing for permits show proper ID in person, some do not and this is only happening in places that do not. You may want to consider lobbying to add this provision, or at least lobby for relaxation of any rules requiring you to show your license number in advertisements as some other areas have done, because that's how the scammers operate in those places where ID is not required.
    While I like the idea of positive identification, going to the 20+ permit offices in my service area takes a tremendous amount of time. Getting permits on-line gives me more billable hours and keeps my prices a bit lower.

Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    While I like the idea of positive identification, going to the 20+ permit offices in my service area takes a tremendous amount of time. Getting permits on-line gives me more billable hours and keeps my prices a bit lower.
    Getting permits on-line in my name keeps my competition busy, and keeps their prices a bit lower than me.

your sentence was broken. i fixed it for you.

i'm not aware of any cities here that issue permits on line.
    and if you show up without your state issued contractors card,
    you leave without your permits.

you can also search permits issued in other contractors names,
    iirc. so you should be able to search all permits issued on your
    license, and see if you have leakage...

when i'm preparing documents for lighting certification, i pull an
    abstract of the contractors license history.

whew. that's all i can say on some of them.
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

Santa Rosa , CA issues permits online after the contractor has signed up for that service.

Quote Originally Posted by mlnk View Post
    Santa Rosa , CA issues permits online after the contractor has signed up for that service.
    I would think (hope) that any online permitting system would require some kind of authentication, even better if it is two-factor authentication.
    Surely no authority has an online process where all anyone needs to know is your license number?...

Quote Originally Posted by Ekooc View Post
    Hi
    Florida EC here.
    I suspect someone is pulling permits under my license, signing my name, etc.
    Instead of going through records city by city and county by county, is there a state wide method of finding all permits pulled on my license
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekooc View Post
    Even with State cert each county has to be signed up with
    when I call say city of West Palm they direct me to DBPR

If you suspect someone is useing your license there must be a reason. That would be a good place to start.

For someone to register in a jurisdiction to work as a contractor would require a good deal of fake paper work (fraud). So check the areas where you are signed up (registered).

I doubt if anyone would be dumb enough for on line permitting because that would required setting up an account with a credit card number.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by retirede View Post
    Surely no authority has an online process where all anyone needs to know is your license number?...
    Since you have to set up an account to pay for permits there is normally a password or code to be entered.

You would notice if you are paying for more permits than you have actually pulled.Only an Ex-employee or wife would/should/could have such information.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by retirede View Post
    I would think (hope) that any online permitting system would require some kind of authentication, even better if it is two-factor authentication.
    There is a username/password sign-in like most online systems. How secure it is? Probably as secure as most other on-line systems. Not really a "hacking" target AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post
    Only an Ex-employee or wife would/should/could have such information.
    I wish my wife cared enough to pull a permit. That would make this job a bit easier.