Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unauthorized activity on license

Unauthorized activity on license

Hi
    Florida EC here.
    I suspect someone is pulling permits under my license, signing my name, etc.
    Instead of going through records city by city and county by county, is there a state wide method of finding all permits pulled on my licence.
    If there is I have not been able to on DBPR.
    Thanks for any help
    John

cant you call a local AHJ and just ask them, see if they can do it or direct you to right place?

Even with State cert each county has to be signed up with
    when I call say city of West Palm they direct me to DBPR

This by the way is not the first time I've seen this brought up in electrical forums. Some states have requirements that contractors filing for permits show proper ID in person, some do not and this is only happening in places that do not. You may want to consider lobbying to add this provision, or at least lobby for relaxation of any rules requiring you to show your license number in advertisements as some other areas have done, because that's how the scammers operate in those places where ID is not required.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

You are correct
    In years past I had to have a notarized form enabling another person to even pick up permit.
    I hoped that another Fl contractor unfortunately had this happen and found a State data base for permits.
    Seems there should be since I can work the whole State.

I would suggest sending a letter to the state licensing authority informing them that you believe you are an ongoing victim of identity theft, and including the evidence you have of unauthorized activity on your license. Perhaps ask them to investigate. You might also consider filing a police report. This will not stop the activity, but it does create a paper trail clearly showing that you are aware of the problem and informed the authorities. If you end up in some kind of dispute later over work done by someone else using your identity, it will be very helpful to have evidence that the problem was identified and reported.

Disclaimer: This is not legal advice, and I am not your attorney.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekooc View Post
    Hi
    Florida EC here.
    Instead of going through records city by city and county by county, is there a state wide method of finding all permits pulled on my licence.
    Thanks for any help
    John

It appears you have knowledge of something or a clue. I would contact the agency that issued the permit. They should give you a list or the permit and address. Get the AHJ to put a stop notice on the Job. Notify the owner. You need to act fast. Get things in writing . Get the person red handed while work is still in progress.

A company I once worked for had a employee moonlighting, The boss went to the owner. The owner confessed that they knew that the employees were doing the work off the books after hours. The boss gave the lady a bill for the work as she knew. The lady paid. The guys were fired.

At a company I used to work for I had vacation time approved months in advance, but when the time came for me to leave, the office manager found the timing to be inconvenient. There was no way I could change my dates (plane tix bought, etc.), so he asked me for my computer password so that he could use my machine to affix my PE stamp to drawings in my absence.

Um, no.

Some jurisdictions are now keeping a photo of the License holder on file.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekooc View Post
    Hi
    Florida EC here.
    Thanks for any help
    John
    There is no statewide database as far as I know.

What is making you suspect this is happening? Are you receiving notices from a jurisdiction about permits pulled?

Use the jurisdictions on-line permit manager to look up permits with your license number, contact the property owner, find out who the guy is, report him for unlicensed contracting.