210.52(C)(1),(2), &(4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
To be fair, I did start it. We're even now.

I don't think we'll ever see eye to eye on the matter. Both sides have their points; which to my mind means that my view is the correct view on the issue for a code enforcement official, because it is the least restrictive read on the code. 210.52 is a prime example of a section that accomplishes a bit of something (inhibiting extension cord use), and will never hope to accomplish its aim (because Walmart will continue to stock and sell cheap extension cords for the foreseeable future).

Seeing that it is a well-meaning but inherently incomplete section, whenever there is a question the inspector should default to the least restrictive interpretation of the code. I am not preaching to ignore the code, just not to stretch it into oblivion in the other direction, especially on an issue such as this; until such a time that a body is found next to such an island with one receptacle, justifying a proposal to tighten the language, giving solid enforcement grounds for the more restrictive interpretation.

But, that's one guy's opinion, do what you want.

Thank you. I have great respect for those man up and now it is my turn. Thank you Dennis for pointing out my error.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Just want to apologize to all the members of this forum for the above post.

It takes a lot to get me riled and 99/100 times I'm able to not react or type or hit enter. I guess this was the 100.

No place on this forum for it, justified or not, so again I apologize.

I'm good. This is exactly why I asked it. I know inspectors who would say wall space.

The whole point for my posts are to find a consensus and may times it has been against me. My goal is to be fair in an interpretation.

Yes you are correct most of the time my mind is made up but I can change when it is explained to me why I am wrong.

John120/240

The two different elevations of counter top is what determines it for me. Often times a desk is at one end of kitchen counter top. The small appliance branch circuit would stop at the higher elevation counter top. A separate receptacle GFCI protected would be installed for the desk usually a 15 A. You are all welcome to disagree & point out the error of my thinking.

kwired

Electron manager
So you & George do not believe the top island surface with a sink that does not have 12" or greater of that same surface behind it is one countertop?
(4) Separate Spaces. Countertop spaces separated by rangetops, refrigerators, or sinks shall be considered as separate countertop spaces in applying the requirements of 210.52(C)(1). If a range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink is installed in an island or peninsular countertop and the depth of the countertop behind the range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink is less than 300 mm (12 in.), the range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink shall be considered to divide the countertop space into two separate countertop spaces.

Hopefully this won't get complicated as it is designed to be simple - two surface planes - bottom countertop has sink with less than 12" of counter behind on the same plane -- both counterspace on either side has a dimension of greater than 12" x 24" -- the top countertop has a greater surface area of 12" x 24" and there are no cabinets on the back side wall space.
From what I've gathered George & Iwire only require one receptacle but I've been wromg before. IMO a min of 3 would be required 2 - countertop & 1 - Gen recept
That section needs work if it intends to make two separate counter top spaces in the island or peninsula. You forgot to quote the last sentence : "Each separate countertop space shall comply with the applicable requirements in 210.52(C)", this quoted section is a part of 210.52(C). Also within 210.52(C) is sub parts 2 and 3 that only require only one receptacle outlet at an island or a peninsula.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
That section needs work if it intends to make two separate counter top spaces in the island or peninsula. You forgot to quote the last sentence : "Each separate countertop space shall comply with the applicable requirements in 210.52(C)", this quoted section is a part of 210.52(C). Also within 210.52(C) is sub parts 2 and 3 that only require only one receptacle outlet at an island or a peninsula.

Does not say ONLY one required. Says at least one.

In my example the countertop behind the sink IS less than 12". So two spaces, two outlet recpt. That is also the max required.

(4) Separate Spaces. Countertop spaces separated by rangetops, refrigerators, or sinks shall be considered as separate countertop spaces in applying the requirements of 210.52(C)(1). If a range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink is installed in an island or peninsular countertop and the depth of the countertop behind the range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink is less than 300 mm (12 in.), the range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink shall be considered to divide the countertop space into two separate countertop spaces. Each separate countertop space shall comply with the applicable requirements in 210.52(C).

From the Handbook:

Wall, island, and peninsular countertops are subject to this requirement. The general receptacle outlet requirement for qualifying island and peninsula countertop spaces in 210.52(C)(2) and (C)(3) calls for one receptacle outlet regardless of how large the countertop space is. However, if the island or peninsula countertop is separated into two spaces according to this section and each space meets the minimum dimension criteria in 210.52(C)(2) and (C)(3), a minimum of two receptacle outlets is required for the island or peninsular countertop space.

mwm1752

Mike & I are on the same page here about sink separation in an island coutertop. and yes I believe the intent was to require at least 1 receptacle for separate countertops with a dimention of 12" x 24" or greater whether it be wall, island or penisula countertops.

kwired

Electron manager
I will say that whenever I have run into such an application I generally have put receptacles on both sides of the sink, range, etc, but still not completely convinced I had to.

Status
Not open for further replies.