Thread: R. I. Masters test

R. I. Masters test

I have a Ma. Masters & Journeyman for 30 years. I want to take the R. I. Masters test but they tell me I have to take the R. I. Journeyman 1st and hold it for 2 years and then take the Masters test. Shouldn't I be able to take the Journeyman and then take the next available Masters test.

You would think so, but that rule is purposely designed to discourage out of state electricians from getting licensed in RI.

Quote Originally Posted by peter d View Post
    You would think so, but that rule is purposely designed to discourage out of state electricians from getting licensed in RI.
    It's too bad they have too be overly protective like that. The test alone should be able to weed out undesirables. Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by pvohnoutka View Post
    It's too bad they have too be overly protective like that. The test alone should be able to weed out undesirables. Thanks for your reply.
    If you're looking for a hobby, you could file suit against RI for interfering with interstate trade. I seriously doubt they could show in court that electrical installations in RI are so different from those in MA that you need to hold the journeyman's ticket for 2 years, especially if they don't require some number of hours of work actually performed in RI, before you sit for the Masters.

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    If you're looking for a hobby, you could file suit against RI for interfering with interstate trade. I seriously doubt they could show in court that electrical installations in RI are so different from those in MA that you need to hold the journeyman's ticket for 2 years, especially if they don't require some number of hours of work actually performed in RI, before you sit for the Masters.
    Not looking for a hobby after 30 years in the trade. It's a business investment but the legal costs to sue the state wouldn't be worth the return. Also they administer and score the test, hint hint.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pvohnoutka View Post
    Not looking for a hobby after 30 years in the trade. It's a business investment but the legal costs to sue the state wouldn't be worth the return. Also they administer and score the test, hint hint.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    I understand. I have a friend from college who collects paper. He has more certifications than you can shake a stick at. He also isn't shy about tweaking the nose of officialdom if he thinks he has a case. He does this pro se. The IRS has taken him to tax court 5 times. He's won all 5, and several times they wound up giving him money to boot. If he had a law degree, he'd be terrifying.