Electric bill increase after rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon456

I think there are pumps underground in many places.
If that's the case, that's probably the cause of the high bills when it rains.

Btw, is the reason for installing new aerial wiring because they think the underground feeders are leaking current? Or do they have another reason for the change?

electricalist

They really aren't sure, but that's what they want. As well an electrical over haul. One feeder and panel at a time..
There is about 6. Panels in various sizes with no mains.

electricalist

Pictures please.
520894641015ec400d193a8e011032da.jpg

Not sure if you can zoom this enough.
The panel with the one underground conduit is the sec from the meter to a switch. Non fused load side is going out through same conduit but goes 80' to the right to a panel. Panel to the right goes up the wall around the house and feeds a panel that down stairs.
58498da7da28f097162274c82deb76c1.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
He pumps this rain water into the tank. When it rains?
I see where this may be going, but also fail to see that the tank is large enough to see significant change in electric consumption if the pumps only fill the tank - but possibly still can run up consumption if they still are pumping anytime there is runoff to feed the pumps.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I see where this may be going, but also fail to see that the tank is large enough to see significant change in electric consumption if the pumps only fill the tank - but possibly still can run up consumption if they still are pumping anytime there is runoff to feed the pumps.

I have well water and watering my small lawn, which uses FAR less water than that tank would hold, increases my electric bill enough that I don't do it.

Also, I see that the pipes are insulated. Why?

Another thing to consider is that the feed to the tank looks to be about 10 feet above ground. Centrifugal water pumps use more electricity to move the same amount of water if it has to be pumped up hill. So, it's one thing just to move 500 gallons of water, it's another if you are lifting it 10 feet high.

If it were me, before doing anything else, I would disconnect the pump for the rainwater reclamation and see how that affects the electric bill. I would also want to know why the insulation exists. Did this inventor also heat the rainwater, too, for some reason? And using electricity to do so?

kwired

Electron manager
I have well water and watering my small lawn, which uses FAR less water than that tank would hold, increases my electric bill enough that I don't do it.

Also, I see that the pipes are insulated. Why?

Another thing to consider is that the feed to the tank looks to be about 10 feet above ground. Centrifugal water pumps use more electricity to move the same amount of water if it has to be pumped up hill. So, it's one thing just to move 500 gallons of water, it's another if you are lifting it 10 feet high.

If it were me, before doing anything else, I would disconnect the pump for the rainwater reclamation and see how that affects the electric bill. I would also want to know why the insulation exists. Did this inventor also heat the rainwater, too, for some reason? And using electricity to do so?
I'm guessing that tank holds anywhere from 500 to maybe 2000 gallons. It doesn't take all that much energy to move that much water as far as what one would notice on the electric bill, even with a 10 foot lift of the water. If it rained every day - different story, but at same time once tank is full unless you don't stop the pump, you are done using energy. If it is for watering lawn and it rains a lot - you are not using water from the tank as you don't need it, so it never needs refilled.

It did cross my mind this may be a tank that gets heated in the sun for warm water applications - but again - not seeing how it would raise an electric bill to any significance unless it has heating elements in it, rain usually means cooler weather but why design something to save energy that doesn't - if anything one needs this as a "solar preheat" tank from there run to a smaller tank that conditions water for final use if needed.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I'm guessing that tank holds anywhere from 500 to maybe 2000 gallons. It doesn't take all that much energy to move that much water as far as what one would notice on the electric bill, even with a 10 foot lift of the water. If it rained every day - different story, but at same time once tank is full unless you don't stop the pump, you are done using energy. If it is for watering lawn and it rains a lot - you are not using water from the tank as you don't need it, so it never needs refilled.

It did cross my mind this may be a tank that gets heated in the sun for warm water applications - but again - not seeing how it would raise an electric bill to any significance unless it has heating elements in it, rain usually means cooler weather but why design something to save energy that doesn't - if anything one needs this as a "solar preheat" tank from there run to a smaller tank that conditions water for final use if needed.

I don't see a level control on the tank. If there was one, could it be defective?

Status
Not open for further replies.