Another Mobile Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esthy

Sorry, I didn't want to cause problems. I am going tomorrow morning to the city to see if it us possible that an inspector can meet with me at the property. Hope so, please don't pull away, your expertise is greatly appreciate.

Esthy

I just meet the inspector, good and professional man. He approved to go from the meter/disconnect directly to a new panel in the Mobile Home, eliminating the pedestal but going with new 4 insulated conductors from the meter. He mentioned that he needs to inspect the conduit, but I am wondering if I can use anything 4 conductors without going in conduit. At the service panel I will separate N/G and run the rods and the frame bond from there. Any input?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I just meet the inspector, good and professional man. He approved to go from the meter/disconnect directly to a new panel in the Mobile Home, eliminating the pedestal but going with new 4 insulated conductors from the meter. He mentioned that he needs to inspect the conduit, but I am wondering if I can use anything 4 conductors without going in conduit. At the service panel I will separate N/G and run the rods and the frame bond from there. Any input?
Direct bury mobile home feeder cable is available at any good electrical supply house.

Esthy

Didn't know, no experience with MH. Feeder is 100 amps. Can it be partially in the conduit? From meter to ground and from ground to panel.

Also, even as he approved in going from meter to panel, I am not comfortable bypassing a pedestal. He also stated that I don't need to go to Arc fault breakers as I am no replacing any circuitry, only the panel ... Does this make sense?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Didn't know, no experience with MH. Feeder is 100 amps. Can it be partially in the conduit? From meter to ground and from ground to panel.

Also, even as he approved in going from meter to panel, I am not comfortable bypassing a pedestal. He also stated that I don't need to go to Arc fault breakers as I am no replacing any circuitry, only the panel ... Does this make sense?
Yes, you have to protect the wire coming out of the ground.

Yes, it sounds fine to me.

david

He approved to go from the meter/"disconnect"

That is your service. If it has a meter main disconnect

At the service panel I will separate N/G and run the rods Any input?

That would be at your meter/main disconnect, (do not separate N/G at this location) ground rods at this location (yes)

At the service panel I will separate N/G and run the rods and the frame bond from there. Any input?

Not at the service panel, But at the main interior mobile home panel, frame bond here, bond from equipment ground bus to the mobile home frame, not from the isolated neutral .

if the meter/disconnect is further than 30' from the mobile home it is good that you question that.
if you install this 2nd "feeder" feed disconnect. you would drive two ground rods at this location bond to equipment ground bus again not the isolated neutral bus

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

What you have been told in the last couple of posts is all good. But in case you didn't understand, here is my contribution.

I believe you mentioned that the meter main is within 30'. I think I even mentioned this before, but now that the inspector is on board you don't have to worry about the requirements for extra spaces in the main for outside equipment. You also don't need to worry about skipping the pedestal since the meter has a disconnect with main breaker. The inspector told you to skip the pedestal because he saw that the main service is within the required 30'.
Here is where you make your neutral-ground bond, not in the new panel in the mobile home.

Also, I pointed out earlier that the conduit at the back of the meter in your picture most likely has your grounding electrode conductor. Thus there is probably a ground rod already there. You could drive more but I would check that first. You don't need to drive one or connect one to the new panel inside the home.

As far as the conduit goes, you're going to have to dig a trench either way. If you use conduit you only have to dig 18". If you direct bury it you will have to go 24" deep. PVC conduit is not that expensive and would be very easy to install. It is required where it enters the mobile home up to the panel anyway.

Inside, at your new panel is where you keep your neutrals & grounds separated. The bond to the frame just goes from the isolated ground bar in the new panel to the frame.

Hope this is clear enough for you to understand.

Esthy

"Also, I pointed out earlier that the conduit at the back of the meter in your picture most likely has your grounding electrode conductor. Thus there is probably a ground rod already there. You could drive more but I would check that first" ...

Don't I need another rod in case is only one there? All MHs here have one rod at the pedestals with exposed of 1" out the ground (?)

"As far as the conduit goes, you're going to have to dig a trench either way. If you use conduit you only have to dig 18". If you direct bury it you will have to go 24" deep. PVC conduit is not that expensive and would be very easy to install. It is required where it enters the mobile home up to the panel anyway"

There is a conduit, large enough, going from the Meter/Disconnect to the J-Box (the one closed to the ground) and another conduit going from the same J-Box to the MH (partially, as it is no going completely to the inside panel but I can add conduit to this existing). Can or recommend using those raceways and use this J-Box as a pull box? Not because it is too close to the ground? Not because I can bother the Inspector? It really will save time and mone

kwired

Electron manager
That is not the opinion that I got from the state a few years back. But that's another discussion.

2nd point if nothing was codified and it is existing IMHO it is grandfathered. Thoughts?
IMO it is still subject to condemnation if deemed unsafe, but otherwise how can it be "wrong" if there was no "right" at initial installation? Some places have had codes/enforcement long before others so this will vary from place to place.

One example, around here you run into a lot of old farm houses that had initial wiring installed in 1930's and 40's as a result of the Rural Elecrification Act. There was a lot of work done that maybe did not meet NEC at the time, but there was no code authority or inspectors at the time in the area to enforce anything either - were those in violation of anything if there is no rule to violate?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
IMO it is still subject to condemnation if deemed unsafe, but otherwise how can it be "wrong" if there was no "right" at initial installation? Some places have had codes/enforcement long before others so this will vary from place to place.

One example, around here you run into a lot of old farm houses that had initial wiring installed in 1930's and 40's as a result of the Rural Elecrification Act. There was a lot of work done that maybe did not meet NEC at the time, but there was no code authority or inspectors at the time in the area to enforce anything either - were those in violation of anything if there is no rule to violate?

Agreed.

david

That?s interesting;

The first service I had installed back in 1985 was done by an older gentleman who had been doing electrical inspections for 32 years.

I have seen manufactures instructions for mobile homes for early 1970 models, I think, that mobile homes started coming onto the market in the mid 1950?s not sure but I?ll bet even the early versions had installation guides.

I think it is a stretch to believe that the service installation for even an early 1970?s model was not inspected by an electrical inspection agency listed with the local utility.

iwire

Staff member
You have an existing installation. That means it is grandfathered unless you touch it.

Only if it was code compliant at the time of installation.

That is not the opinion that I got from the state a few years back. But that's another discussion.

So you are saying that if I was to sneak an electrical code violation by you that once you sign off on the final my non-compliant work becomes grandfathered in?

I find that very unlikely.

I suspect you misunderstood the states position.

2nd point if nothing was codified and it is existing IMHO it is grandfathered. Thoughts?

If it was not code compliant when it was installed (and IMO it was not) then it is not grandfathered, it is still a violation.

kwired

Electron manager
That?s interesting;

The first service I had installed back in 1985 was done by an older gentleman who had been doing electrical inspections for 32 years.

I have seen manufactures instructions for mobile homes for early 1970 models, I think, that mobile homes started coming onto the market in the mid 1950?s not sure but I?ll bet even the early versions had installation guides.

I think it is a stretch to believe that the service installation for even an early 1970?s model was not inspected by an electrical inspection agency listed with the local utility.

I think it all depends on where it was done and whether or not there was permits/inspections at that time. Here in NE, no dwellings (in general) were inspected by state until early to mid 1990's, some cities and/or counties did have local inspections though that did cover all dwellings.

Mobile homes were one thing that was seldom done correctly unless a real electrician was the one that connected them.

Esthy

As I said in my previous post:

There is a conduit, large enough, going from the Meter/Disconnect to the J-Box (the one closed to the ground) and another conduit going from the same J-Box to the MH (partially, as it is no going completely to the inside panel but I can add conduit to it).

Can I use or is recommend to use those existing conduits and use this J-Box as a pull box?

No, because it is too close to the ground?

No, because I can bother this nice Inspector? (I forgot to ask him)

It really will save time and money as you know everything is donated. I have a 250? of 4 AWG that I can donate for this 100 amps service (I will tape green the grounding).

david

As I said in my previous post:

There is a conduit, large enough, going from the Meter/Disconnect to the J-Box (the one closed to the ground) and another conduit going from the same J-Box to the MH (partially, as it is no going completely to the inside panel but I can add conduit to it).

Can I use or is recommend to use those existing conduits and use this J-Box as a pull box?

No, because it is too close to the ground?

No, because I can bother this nice Inspector? (I forgot to ask him)

It really will save time and money as you know everything is donated. I have a 250? of 4 AWG that I can donate for this 100 amps service (I will tape green the grounding).

It has been my experience with older installations with mobile homes, that the cable is direct buried and the conduit was only there for protection of the cable on both ends where the direct buried cable emerges from the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.