GFCI UNDER SINK

Status
Not open for further replies.

j rae

Can you have a single recptical under a sink not GFCI protected feeding a auto hand wash? Please send artical number and if there an exception

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Yes you can. Well, it depends on your code cycle.

Check your code book under the 210.8 sections.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
2014 NEC 210.8(B)(5) is the reference for "No" to the OP question.

iwire

Staff member
From the NEC 2011 handbook:

Receptacles
installed for disposals, dishwashers, and trash compactors
are not required to be protected by GFCIs.

That is not universally true, it depends on the location of those items.

For instance all of those items, when 120 volt, 15 or 20 amp, cord and plug connected in a commercial kitchen will end up GFCI protected

sparkyrick

That is not universally true, it depends on the location of those items.

For instance all of those items, when 120 volt, 15 or 20 amp, cord and plug connected in a commercial kitchen will end up GFCI protected

I was assuming residential, my bad. Yes, ALL recepts in a commercial kitchen need to be GFCI, regardless of location.

kwired

Electron manager
From the NEC 2011 handbook:

I was assuming residential, my bad. Yes, ALL recepts in a commercial kitchen need to be GFCI, regardless of location.
There were changes in 2014 as well, the especially with the dishwasher. Also all receptacles within 6 feet of the sink need GFCI protection - though they did not make it entirely clear if that is to include outlets inside a cabinet - many inspectors do consider them to apply if a six foot cord can reach the sink while plugged into the receptacle in question.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Only the OP knows the details of his install. That is why OP needs to check the NEC code cycle that applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.