314.16(A0 Metal Boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifty60

When a Box trade size is given in inches as (4 X 1 1/4). Does this mean that the box is 4" Lenght X 4" Width X 1/4" depth?

fifty60

Not sure what I am missing here...where will I find the fill chart for a 10 X 8 X 4 junction box?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Not sure what I am missing here...where will I find the fill chart for a 10 X 8 X 4 junction box?

You won't find it in a chart.
You need to run the calculation yourself.
10x8x4= cubic inches.
Divided by the conductor size and number.
Use any other deratings by code, such as cable clamps, conductor max fill, ........

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
When a Box trade size is given in inches as (4 X 1 1/4). Does this mean that the box is 4" Lenght X 4" Width X 1/4" depth?

How did we get from 4 x 1 1/4" to 10x8x4.

You will not find a box that is 1/4" deep but there may be a few out there at 1 1/4" . Most 4x4 are either 1 5/8" or 2 1/8" deep.

To answer your question - if I saw (4 x 1 1/4") I would assume 4 x 4 x 1 1/4" but that is a guess. Someone was lazy when typing it out.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

What size conductors are you using? If they are #4 or larger than 314.28 would be used and it is based on conduit size not wire size

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I think it is pretty clear he means a standard 4" square box and not a 4" x 1" x 1/4" box that does not exist. :)

I didn't say 4 x 1 x 1/4 -- The OP wrote 4 x 1 1/4 not 4 x 1 x 1/4" so I am not sure what he meant--- I know those 1/4" don't exist but do you see many 4 in sq. that are 1 1/4"-- I believe I had to special order some of them many many years ago. Have not seen them in ages.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes they do make 1 1/4" deep 4" square boxes. They work well with wood studs installed on the flat side against concrete or block.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Yes they do make 1 1/4" deep 4" square boxes. They work well with wood studs installed on the flat side against concrete or block.

I believe that is where I used them but generally when I run into that I just bust the block a bit and set a nail on plastic box. I guess with pipe it would e good.

Bob-- I too tired to explain I actually had to work today and I am half asleep.-- us old farts need our naps

Status
Not open for further replies.