Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spray Foam insulation with Recess lights: Question

Spray Foam insulation with Recess lights: Question

Hi Folks,

Working on a new house where they are spray foaming walls and ceilings. Customer wants recessed cans in the cathedral ceilings which are getting foamed as well. Reading an article from Cooper lighting indicates foam should be kept away by 3 inches. Any suggestions and or code issues as to how to protect the cans ? The foam guys could care less and will spray everything!!!

Thanks,
    T

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Try a different brand of fixtures?
    Tom
    TBLO

Do you know of a brand rated to be in contact with foam and still have access to the wiring if you have to pull the can down?

Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Hi Fletcher,

Those would work fine if the sheetrock was up. My problem is 2 fold. New construction and on a cathedral ceiling!

Quick question........ you said it is a cathedral ceiling right?

So aren't your can housings already of a sloped type which have a secondary "box" built around the can itself. If so, I would think..... spray away there should be the 3" clearance built-in from the internal can and housing.

By the way, if a fixture says it's IC (in cover) then why all af a sudden does it matter what insulation is being used?

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    The 3" space does sound like a non IC rated can, but the foam around the jbox is something I hadn't thought about. Those suckers will never move once foamed, IC or not.
    Tom
    TBLO

Quote Originally Posted by mopowr steve View Post

By the way, if a fixture says it's IC (in cover) then why all af a sudden does it matter what insulation is being used?
    lf an IC fixture is in batt or loose fill insulation you can pull it down to access wiring compartment.
    Try that if it is foamed in place.

OP might try a temperature resistant loose wrap or more rigid tent to keep the foam off the can and leave room to pull it down?

I am not quite clear on how the foam will be placed in/on the cathedral ceiling. Underside of foam exposed? Most foams require a fireproof (resistant) covering.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

One thing I forgot to mention was that the junction box is butted up to the larger housing so access could still be gained...... albeit that nasty foam will probably propagate itself into making it difficult to remove j-box cover within that housing.

Quote Originally Posted by mopowr steve View Post
    Quick question........ you said it is a cathedral ceiling right?

So aren't your can housings already of a sloped type which have a secondary "box" built around the can itself. If so, I would think..... spray away there should be the 3" clearance built-in from the internal can and housing.

Hi Steve,

With the new led trims, there is really no need for a sloped type box. But regardless of the box, If you read cooper lighting technical specs on IC rated cans, they say this: "Cooper Lighting recommends that spray-in foams be kept 3” from recessed luminaires."
    So my question to the members of this site is. 1. Is there a new construction box that IS compliant to be used per the manufacture that can be in direct contact with spray foam insulation? 2. Is there anything in the NEC that pertains to installation procedures with spray foam insulation? 3. What can we do as professionals to maintain best practices and be in compliance with the lighting manufactures?
    We all know that spray foam installers will spray over everything.