Switchgear and Xylene

Status
Not open for further replies.

big john

I am up against some folks who want to use a xylene and acetone based degreaser as their all-purpose switchgear cleaner, and I've seen how this stuff can attack plastics so I think it's a terrible idea.

I would have bet $20 that I had seen OEM literature expressly forbidding the use of xylene on some types of medium-voltage insulation. Now I can't find it.

Anyone have any ammunition to prohibit the use of that degreaser?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Almost any state VOC and hazmat regulations should do the trick.
Yeah, no kidding.

But just in case, cleaning instruction for: ...
Eaton:
DO NOT USE SOLVENTS, OILS, OR GREASES ON OR NEAR THIS EQUIP-
MENT. WATER AND ISOPROPYL ARE THE ONLY APPROVED CLEANERS FOR
THIS EQUIPMENT

Schneider:
All cleaning products with solvents are strictly forbidden.

Siemens:
10.3 Cleaning the switchgear
Most of the plastics and synthetics used in insulation systems are attacked by solvents
containing aromatics or halogenated hydro
carbons. The use of these may cause crazing
and deformation of the material reducing the dielectric strength.
Use only water and
household cleaner to clean insulation.

And in case you don't know...
wikipedia said:
Crazing is a phenomenon that frequently precedes fracture in some glassy thermoplastic polymers. Crazing occurs in regions of high hydrostatic tension, or in regions of very localized yielding, which leads to the formation of interpenetrating microvoids and small fibrils. If an applied tensile load is sufficient, these bridges elongate and break, causing the microvoids to grow and coalesce; as microvoids coalesce, cracks begin to form.

Last edited:

big john

Almost any state VOC and hazmat regulations should do the trick.
I don't follow? If we're worried about VOCs then we can't use isopropyl alcohol, either.

And Jraef, I appreciate those citations; I found the same things when trying to dig up the reference I was thinking of. That may be what I have to stick to.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I don't follow? If we're worried about VOCs then we can't use isopropyl alcohol, either.

And Jraef, I appreciate those citations; I found the same things when trying to dig up the reference I was thinking of. That may be what I have to stick to.
FWIW, according to ISSA, http://www.issa.com/data/moxiestora...ce-library/voc/voc_limits_summary_1-30-15.pdf, The EPA has VOC limits for General Purpose Cleaners, but not for Electrical or Electronic Cleaners.
States differ.

But beyond the overall VOC issues, there are serious questions about the toxicity of xylene when workers are exposed to it, far more concerns than for isopropyl alcohol.

Electric-Light

I am up against some folks who want to use a xylene and acetone based degreaser as their all-purpose switchgear cleaner, and I've seen how this stuff can attack plastics so I think it's a terrible idea.

I would have bet $20 that I had seen OEM literature expressly forbidding the use of xylene on some types of medium-voltage insulation. Now I can't find it.

Anyone have any ammunition to prohibit the use of that degreaser?

What you're talking about is electronics grade carburetor cleaner. Very aggressive on degrease, but damaging to plastics.

There were silver bullet cleaners that worked very, non flammable, low odor, nearly non-toxic, safe on plastic, but you can't buy them anymore, because the key ingredients were cold pressed endangered baby seal oil and chlorofluorocarbons. It was widely used to clean avionics. Now, even the Russians or our military can't use it.

There's a consumer grade stuff that's safe on equipment, but I don't think you can use it at work since it's too flammable to stay within OSHA regulations.

Ask a CRC sales rep what to use. There are several modern hydrofluorocarbon precision cleaners, but they're in the $25-35 per can price range.

Electric-Light

So, setting all the chatter aside, what i described is no joke. The solvent that was safe on most parts, non flammable and effective was restricted by the United Nations.

Status
Not open for further replies.