Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PV plan check

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    That is not what it says. Look again at the wording of the "120% rule".
    705.12(D)(2)(3)(b) says exactly what I said. Where two sources, one utility and the other an inverter, are located at opposite ends of the busbar that contains loads, the sum of 125% of the inverter output circuit current and the rating of the overcurrent device protection the busbar shall not exceed 120% of the ampacity of the busbar.

We only have all in one panels here so the main service panel will always contain loads.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyjwc View Post
    705.12(D)(2)(3)(b) says exactly what I said. Where two sources, one utility and the other an inverter, are located at opposite ends of the busbar that contains loads, the sum of 125% of the inverter output circuit current and the rating of the overcurrent device protection the busbar shall not exceed 120% of the ampacity of the busbar.

We only have all in one panels here so the main service panel will always contain loads.
    That clarifies things.
    Given that the 200A main panel contains loads, you are correct that under any version of the code a 200A panel (bus rating) with a 200A main cannot handle more than 40A of PV backfeed, no matter what path it takes getting there.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    That clarifies things.
    Given that the 200A main panel contains loads, you are correct that under any version of the code a 200A panel (bus rating) with a 200A main cannot handle more than 40A of PV backfeed, no matter what path it takes getting there.
    Under 2014 705.12(D)(2)(3)(c) it could if the load breakers sum to less than 160A.
    I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Smart $ View Post
    Under 2014 705.12(D)(2)(3)(c) it could if the load breakers sum to less than 160A.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Good point.
    Didn't I say all that?

Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    Didn't I say all that?
    And I even added support.

But many instances we just have to keep on repeating our point until it finally sinks in.

Then they would need to submit that (along with photos) at plan check. Correct? Also he trying to add 90 amps of solar.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyjwc View Post
    Then they would need to submit that (along with photos) at plan check. Correct? Also he trying to add 90 amps of solar.
    I would think so... but I'm not the one that specifies what is required for your plan checks.

200A - 90A = 110A

I would think so... but I'm not the one that specifies what is required for your plan checks.

200A - 90A = 110A
    Ok if you really read that section it only talks about the location of the solar breaker, also if you have a 200 panel + 90 amps of solar + everything else I'm guessing that 90% of the time you are going to exceed the busbar rating. Now if you go with one of the new solar panels with the 225 amp bus and a 150 amp main, the amount of solar you can put in is almost unlimited, to a point of course.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10