Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: PV plan check

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyjwc View Post
    OK we may be getting off track here. My question is simply is the 200 amp panel with the 200 amp bus the end point? Meaning that does it matter what is between the solar and the main panel, wouldn't the maximum solar allowed be 40 amps? You could do 90 if you derated the main breaker to 150 amps.

Now this is different -- my post 29# asks the question which I thought had the end point at 400 amp buss, could you please clarify ( your end point is described as the load end of the breaker itself & does not include the feeder) -- the statement above would be correct when you attach the pv fed breaker in the enclosure which has the main OCPD & buss. You did not mention of lowering the capacity of the main OCPD that feeds the remote panel in the original statement.
    Why would you need to change OCPD if it is a single main disconnect with a single load feeding a 400 amp panel?
    My post though was to clarify what NEC code requires for the feeder between main OCPD & remote lug termination panel. The NEC seems to conflict with theory.
    Last edited by mwm1752; 09-29-17 at 09:28 AM.
    CircuitRyder --- Unfortunately not all good ideas are code enforceable.

The feeder is fine, because the primary and interactive sources are at opposite ends, and it is adequately protected from each source. The OP's question was about how the rules apply to the service equipment. The OP was unclear at first whether the service equipment contained a panelboard or merely a disconnecting means, but it makes no difference to the feeder.

Not sure what part of the NEC you think conflicts with theory. I don't think it does.

Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    The feeder is fine, because the primary and interactive sources are at opposite ends, and it is adequately protected from each source. The OP's question was about how the rules apply to the service equipment. The OP was unclear at first whether the service equipment contained a panelboard or merely a disconnecting means, but it makes no difference to the feeder.

Not sure what part of the NEC you think conflicts with theory. I don't think it does.

Please reply with NEC code section pertaining to this installation. I've submitted several --

The code sections that pertain to the installation have already been mentioned upthread.

I asked you what part of the NEC you think conflicts with theory.

Quote Originally Posted by mwm1752 View Post
    Please reply with NEC code section pertaining to this installation. I've submitted several --
    705.12(D)(2)(3)(a, b, c, and/or d) but probably not (d).

Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    705.12(D)(2)(3)(a, b, c, and/or d) but probably not (d).
    we are stating different NEC cycles but are basically the same define - within the OP statement of this thread --

primarysource overcurrent device

overcurrent device on theload side of the power source connection