Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Prefab wiring system

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    243

    Prefab wiring system

    I'm exploring options for wiring a large apartment building.
    What are the pro's & cons of a pre fab system.
    I'm looking at "rough in ready" ,"pentair" & AFC. Anybody have experience with any of these?
    cmac1

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northern illinois
    Posts
    15,683
    I would be willing to bet you could do a lot of prefab at your shop for less than buying the pieces. If many of the units are the same you could do one unit, and then figure out what you did and duplicate it over and over in your shop and deliver the prefabbed stuff and install it on site.
    Bob

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    243
    I don't have the facility to do the prefabbing myself, the pricing Im getting looks fairly reasonable. Each room comes on its own pallet & the manufacturers send reps to the site to make sure install is going smoothly and make adjustments for similar units if we're running into problems. All the systems look good, that's why I'm asking if anyone has any experience with them and what the pros & cons of each system are.
    cmac1

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tampa, FL, USA
    Posts
    1,008
    Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    I would be willing to bet you could do a lot of prefab at your shop for less than buying the pieces. If many of the units are the same you could do one unit, and then figure out what you did and duplicate it over and over in your shop and deliver the prefabbed stuff and install it on site.
    I thought the same thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by mcelweec@gmail.com View Post
    I don't have the facility to do the prefabbing myself, the pricing Im getting looks fairly reasonable. Each room comes on its own pallet & the manufacturers send reps to the site to make sure install is going smoothly and make adjustments for similar units if we're running into problems. All the systems look good, that's why I'm asking if anyone has any experience with them and what the pros & cons of each system are.
    You don't need much of a facility. Any open space with a couple of apprentices huddled around a folding table will do. (Multiplied by how fast you want the prefab pieces made.)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Valdosta, GA
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    I would be willing to bet you could do a lot of prefab at your shop for less than buying the pieces....
    Much less; we’ve been doing it for a few months now.

    To OP; all I can really say is to run the numbers of what they’re telling you the labor savings will be versus the system cost and see if it makes sense. Unless something goes very wrong, you will see significant labor savings.

    I haven’t bought any of the factory pre-fab systems as we just looked at what they were doing and replicated it in the shop. I did have two manufacturers offer a significant discount on my first order to entice us to switch from doing our own; I say that because if you’re thinking about going the pre-fab route, you may be able to negotiate some discounts with the reps if you are serious about it.

    We do a lot of EMT system pre-fab, and no one is offering that right now.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Valdosta, GA
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    You don't need much of a facility. Any open space with a couple of apprentices huddled around a folding table will do. (Multiplied by how fast you want the prefab pieces made.)
    We have a 4’x8’ table about 48” high for MC and whip assemblies, and for the EMT and PVC we have a 12’ long stainless counter with a saw at the end that feeds into another counter about 10’ long, and then a parts bin at the end with connectors and couplings, and shelving under the counter for boxes, brackets, plaster rings etc....
    We have large plastic trash bins at the end of the tables for waste.
    And then we have floor space for pallets and boxes to load up and shrink wrap, and also for the EMT assemblies. Most of the MC stuff and recessed lighting we’re putting in large produce bins that can be handled with a forklift. We’re using maybe 500 sq/ft of shop space for this.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •