Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: central inverters vs string inverters

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    Yeah its weird. Seems like a huge advantage to me yet they don't promote it. Most of their literature says 600v. Dataplate says 1kv. Tech support will confirm 1kv is fine.
    One factor in why they do not promote it may be that for residential use the upper limit on array voltage is still only 600V, regardless of the inverter used.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    One factor in why they do not promote it may be that for residential use the upper limit on array voltage is still only 600V, regardless of the inverter used.
    I haven't verified it for myself, but if it's true it sounds pretty stupid to me. Why would anyone publish an erroneous data sheet which will put them out of the running for many designs?

Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    I haven't verified it for myself, but if it's true it sounds pretty stupid to me. Why would anyone publish an erroneous data sheet which will put them out of the running for many designs?
    This came up a while back, and I dont remember if fronius told me this, or I heard it from someone else, but they seem to think that since the primo are generally targeted for residential, no one cares about 1 KV strings, so they dont even bother to say it on the literature. The first time I used a primo, I designed for 600v. When I got the inverter, I saw 1000 on the dataplate. After some confusion and calls to fronius, I ended up stringing for 1000V, as this system was on a detached residential structure.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

This came up a while back, and I dont remember if fronius told me this, or I heard it from someone else, but they seem to think that since the primo are generally targeted for residential, no one cares about 1 KV strings, so they dont even bother to say it on the literature. The first time I used a primo, I designed for 600v. When I got the inverter, I saw 1000 on the dataplate. After some confusion and calls to fronius, I ended up stringing for 1000V, as this system was on a detached residential structure.
    If I were the inspector, I am not sure I would call that non-residential unless the detached structure was demonstrably and by zoning a commercial structure.

If I were the inspector, I am not sure I would call that non-residential unless the detached structure was demonstrably and by zoning a commercial structure.
    Note that the restriction for 1kv is narrower than just "residential".

"You can't generalize"

Note that the restriction for 1kv is narrower than just "residential".
    Elaborate, please

The wording is:

'In one and two family dwellings, PV source circuits and PV
    output circuits that do not include lampholders, fixtures,
    or receptacles shall be permitted to have a maximum PV
    system voltage up to 600 volts.'
    690.7(C)

That leaves open apartment buildings. Also leaves open ground mounted or detached structures structures where the PV source or output circuits aren't in the building.

Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    The wording is:

690.7(C)

That leaves open apartment buildings. Also leaves open ground mounted or detached structures structures where the PV source or output circuits aren't in the building.
    thanks

"You can't generalize"