Failed inspection...Not sure if the inspector is correct

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert pitre

Fail inspection

Fail inspection

Had inspection and failed for "Romex cannot be stapled down on studs fastened to the wall"
I have done this many times. On the pictures it is a regular 2x4, I know it should been a treated stud but as far as the installation is that a violation?
View attachment 13367

As an inspector I would have to fail it also,due to (Protection from Phsical damage).
I have fail Romeo ran under peers homes, they have to be protected.
See NEC 334.15 A-C

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This article appears to support the inspectors position though most inspectors don't have a problem with it.

334.15(C) In Unfinished Basements and Crawl Spaces. Where cable is run at angles with joists in unfinished basements and crawl spaces, it shall be permissible to secure cables not smaller than two 6 AWG or three 8 AWG conductors directly to the lower edges of the joists. Smaller cables shall be run either through bored holes in joists or on running boards. Nonmetallic-sheathed cable installed on the wall of an unfinished basement shall be permitted to be installed in a listed conduit or tubing or shall be protected in accordance with 300.4. Conduit or tubing shall be provided with a suitable insulating bushing or adapter at the point the cable enters the raceway. The sheath of the nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall extend through the conduit or tubing and into the outlet or device box not less than 6 mm (1⁄4 in.). The cable shall be secured within 300 mm (12 in.) of the point where the cable enters the conduit or tubing. Metal conduit, tubing, and metal outlet boxes shall be connected to an equipment grounding conductor complying with the provisions of 250.86 and 250.148.

That says "shall be permitted", besides I would argue that it's on a running board not the wall but that may be splitting hairs which brings you back to 300.4 and the determination if it's subject to physical damage. If NM cannot be run on a wall even if it's attached to wood then just about every basement service in NJ is a violation, like this one.

H91WFIZzaTwbC6oUvhTEH4RxX3rTsnTsSXD4ZjIqZA2HAEd-nD_26Ohipi0kbWUtGfEAQ1s7s5gKUk_E3AN8VZxoSd_GOdY8j20IDmKVZJtVnzAJ8mrrQ8auSFPhlGZe9aT5ZSq39Q8aB9ARxHUFvCPsBEjPuoq_jeQ1XkFDmby6WuhrbvYi0iHWrqvEmbaIIIWk0s9lwyMJ8uJYHvK8D4H4S3DEIv7SX4sAw6z8tVitHzQAe-cJv6wf7VO9z81iW0X4lCNgGifVcgVjL_lpiHGSfGp0OULQrXHYLn201X5atEIwAddr1xZWReeAfNWjnsAPWQEzqiXygeFVmS43hQYidQSy-qtGD4xW-IUMUoo2vLl-WWf7xxI3EYrQwe9WaHlmaKPrVYS2Uirlx99Nu4SN2oXmfQpE8axID6kiMAW3y6zJS2PgmFRBRrhyIzN-ETOBzF_KT19rnJlmSQosG-NM69MBsm7slUeRdr8rI1TxrF6ZAqWqccjEc8Kpv1IsJkrDs7Cts3jn3o4tQ2XBjy6FuyIsWq-HgWrEPG_B_pA=w692-h921-no

robert pitre

Fail inspection

Fail inspection

As a inspector I would have to fail this also.
Looking at the pictures, it would be for romex not being protected from physical damage.
I once had to fail a peers house with romex ran under it, do to not being protected.
Look at NEC 334.15 A-C.

north star

~ $ ~

" You know that the primer may not be required by the adhesive labeling and instruction for drain lines and other low pressure application, don't you? "
I do now !.........Dang, ...they slipped that language in to the `15 IRC.
That is just below average ! :cry:

~ $ ~

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
This article appears to support the inspectors position though most inspectors don't have a problem with it.

334.15(C) In Unfinished Basements and Crawl Spaces. Where cable is run at angles with joists in unfinished basements and crawl spaces, it shall be permissible to secure cables not smaller than two 6 AWG or three 8 AWG conductors directly to the lower edges of the joists. Smaller cables shall be run either through bored holes in joists or on running boards. Nonmetallic-sheathed cable installed on the wall of an unfinished basement shall be permitted to be installed in a listed conduit or tubing or shall be protected in accordance with 300.4. Conduit or tubing shall be provided with a suitable insulating bushing or adapter at the point the cable enters the raceway. The sheath of the nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall extend through the conduit or tubing and into the outlet or device box not less than 6 mm (1⁄4 in.). The cable shall be secured within 300 mm (12 in.) of the point where the cable enters the conduit or tubing. Metal conduit, tubing, and metal outlet boxes shall be connected to an equipment grounding conductor complying with the provisions of 250.86 and 250.148.

If placed on running boards on joists is OK, why not allow running boards on the wall? :?

Status
Not open for further replies.