Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floor Cell System

Floor Cell System

Hoping you guys can see pic. I tried to covert to pdf but itwas too big even after compressing. I have an existing floor cell/trench ductsystem. When installing floor devices as shown in pic I’m assuming you have tocore through concrete then penetrate the top of the cell. How would you dothat, hole saw? Also isn’t it a PIA to pull cables through this system. I’venever come across one of these. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TRENCH CELL 2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	18601   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TRENCH CELL.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	18602  

He a part of the existing as-built condition showing thetrench duct. There are lines from the panels(conduits??) to points on thetrench ducts. Is that where the cells get activated? How exacty? So is theentire cell live? Branch circuits are connected to it? How? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A company I used to work for did a lot of service and remodels for King Soopers grocery stores.
    They used Walker duct throughout to feed the shelves and POS. We would use a dry core drill to get through the concrete. Then a dual hole saw of the size we needed, and the next size up to stop the hole saw from penetrating down into the wiring in the duct. Not every arbor will hold two hole saws, but some have long enough threads to do so, you have to find the right combination. Then there were adapters the locked into the duct that would accept conduit fittings. And no, it's not much fun pulling wire, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Hoping you guys can see pic. I tried to covert to pdf but itwas too big even after compressing. I have an existing floor cell/trench ductsystem. When installing floor devices as shown in pic I’m assuming you have tocore through concrete then penetrate the top of the cell. How would you dothat, hole saw? Also isn’t it a PIA to pull cables through this system. I’venever come across one of these. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
    First you core a hole in the concrete 2.5" I believe and then you use a hole saw about 1 7/8" to penetrate the cell. After that you install a transition fitting sometimes called an "after set" which gives you a threaded entry into the cell.

From there you can install your "dog house" or whatever you're using to transition to another wring method.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    First you core a hole in the concrete 2.5" I believe and then you use a hole saw about 1 7/8" to penetrate the cell. After that you install a transition fitting sometimes called an "after set" which gives you a threaded entry into the cell.

From there you can install your "dog house" or whatever you're using to transition to another wring method.
    This gets my current vote as the number one job I don't ever want to do.

Thanks a lot guys. So as far as the second drawing I posted what kind of application does that look like to the duct? Homerun conduits?

Anyone know what you would do for the floor box pic? How would cables enter? Floor boxes usually have ko's in the side. It says j-box tap to duct system(it's existing duct).

Thanks a lot guys. So as far as the second drawing I posted what kind of application does that look like to the duct? Homerun conduits?
    Maybe I'm just extra slow this Monday, but I can't quite grasp what your plan shows. Are the vertical lines the conductors in the floor duct? If so, how are the cross connections getting made, and why does it look like one conductor may touch multiple phases/conductors??

Anyone know what you would do for the floor box pic? How would cables enter? Floor boxes usually have ko's in the side. It says j-box tap to duct system(it's existing duct).

The drawing in post #2 is basically useless (although the dark lines could be the header duct that runs perpendicular to the floor cells), it looks like in the detail for the floor box it's chopped into the concrete and nippled to the floor duct system below.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Albuquerque, New Mexico ,Untied States of America
    Do do you have access to the American Electricians Handbook edition 12?
    If you do, look at 9-91 to 9-105 and 9-137 to 9-153. There is a fair amount of information in this section about in floor systems.

PJHolguin 8-)