Working out of country, in Oman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntxtrm

I have been approached to quote a job in Adam, Oman. I have never quoted a job out of country before. It is a basic installation of a PLC system at a plant. Low Voltage only. Can anybody give me any insight on, rate as compared to US? Codes? Danger? and any other info you might think I need? Any help would be appreciated:?

Huntxtrm

I hope you are not seriously considering such a thing.

Run away from this project as fast as you can.

I have never traveled abroad. Is it that bad over there? Looking at the state dept website, it says its fairly safe? Or, are you talking about something else?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have never traveled abroad. Is it that bad over there? Looking at the state dept website, it says its fairly safe? Or, are you talking about something else?

do you have any idea how to even enforce a contract in Oman?

or how to get parts?

or what the labor laws are there?

many islamic countries take the passports of workers when they get there and do not give them back until the project is done. you really want to be trapped there?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

This is the sort of job it's much better to do as a worker-bee for someone else than trying to be the prime EC. It's not just grabbing your passport and a pair of dykes and getting on the plain. I don't have time right now to think of even most of the things, but here are a couple:

Paid in dollars?
Who pays for room and board while you're there?
Who pays for the flight? Who holds the return ticket? Who holds your passport while you're there?
Fixed price, or daily rate? If "A", you could be there 'til the Second Coming before you can break loose.
Paid furlough for very long term project?
Who orders equipment? Materials?

My opinion, and worth every penny you're paying for it, don't do this if you're the contractor, and if you're a worker-bee, make sure the contractor has a good track record for overseas work.

Huntxtrm

This is the sort of job it's much better to do as a worker-bee for someone else than trying to be the prime EC. It's not just grabbing your passport and a pair of dykes and getting on the plain. I don't have time right now to think of even most of the things, but here are a couple:

Paid in dollars? Good ole American Dollars!
Who pays for room and board while you're there? Haliburton

Who pays for the flight? Me Who holds the return ticket? Me Who holds your passport while you're there? Me
Fixed price, Fixed Price or daily rate? If "A", you could be there 'til the Second Coming before you can break loose.
Paid furlough for very long term project? Should only be for about 8 weeks.
Who orders equipment? Me, through Haliburton. Materials? Me, through Haliburton.

My opinion, and worth every penny you're paying for it, don't do this if you're the contractor, and if you're a worker-bee, make sure the contractor has a good track record for overseas work.

Good Advice, I don't want to get burned, or killed! That's why I'm coming to you fellas for advice.

It a job for Haliburton, through a construction company, that I regularly do business with. Just have never done it out of country. Materials are out of Dubai, they will be coordinated by others. I'm basically supplying know how, man power, getting there and back. They are supposed to supply all accomodations, food, transportation once there, etc.... Basically worker bees, contracting to a regular client. But, Yall are scaring me. Usually jobs with this Client go pretty smooth. But, I worry nothing is smooth over there.

Huntxtrm

or how to get parts?

or what the labor laws are there?

many islamic countries take the passports of workers when they get there and do not give them back until the project is done. you really want to be trapped there?

I was hoping somebody had been in these shoes before, and could guide me. Sounds like they are not good shoes to be in at all. I'm going to have to research the crap out of this one. I don't trust that neck of the woods anyway, right now. Too much going on over there!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Ask yourself this. Why do they need you? Halliburton does work in the Middle east on a regular basis and no doubt has competent electrical help readily available? Why would they want to bring in someone who has never worked there before?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Ask yourself this. Why do they need you? Halliburton does work in the Middle east on a regular basis and no doubt has competent electrical help readily available? Why would they want to bring in someone who has never worked there before?

Considering the spate of electrocutions involving shower facilities that were reported here and elsewhere from Iraq and Afganistan, I'm gonna politely disagree with the "competent electrical help readily available" assertion.

Huntxtrm

I think its more my client wanting to bring me in, because I know their systems. Not Haliburton.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Unless you want your picture in the news with a bag over your head and some terrorist standing over you with an ax I wouldn't go anywhere near that end of the world for any amount of money.

-Hal

JeffBabineaux

Actually, Oman is much safer than many of the surrounding countries, from terrorism as well as serious crime. A quick google search could confirm, if you're interested. Compare it to visiting El Paso, just don't step over into Juarez without taking precautions.

iwire

Staff member
Unless you want your picture in the news with a bag over your head and some terrorist standing over you with an ax I wouldn't go anywhere near that end of the world for any amount of money.

-Hal

This^^^^^

Actually, Oman is much safer than many of the surrounding countries, from terrorism as well as serious crime. A quick google search could confirm, if you're interested. Compare it to visiting El Paso, just don't step over into Juarez without taking precautions.

Yet still much much much much more likely to loose ones head than here at home.

What is the upside to taking this risk?

There is work here.

Huntxtrm

This^^^^^

Yet still much much much much more likely to loose ones head than here at home.

What is the upside to taking this risk?

There is work here.

Keeping a client happy. Big money. There is risk in any type of work we do. Dollar amounts go up with risk. Although, this is a considerably higher risk. We also work in South Texas a lot. Pretty risky down there too. You don't go out alone, at night, unarmed. If your smart.

growler

I have been approached to quote a job in Adam, Oman. I have never quoted a job out of country before. It is a basic installation of a PLC system at a plant. Low Voltage only. Can anybody give me any insight on, rate as compared to US? Codes? Danger? and any other info you might think I need? Any help would be appreciated:?

It a job for Haliburton, through a construction company, that I regularly do business with. Just have never done it out of country. Materials are out of Dubai, they will be coordinated by others. I'm basically supplying know how, man power, getting there and back. They are supposed to supply all accomodations, food, transportation once there, etc.... Basically worker bees, contracting to a regular client. But, Yall are scaring me. Usually jobs with this Client go pretty smooth. But, I worry nothing is smooth over there.

There are things to consider. If the job is short term (less than a year) you will have to pay taxes on any money you make just like you do here.

There are many companies that contract in the middle east, both big and small companies. They go there for the money.

I don't know what the rate is for something like that but if you are taking even a small crew with you it will be expensive. People want lots of money to travel to such areas.

If you are going as a worker bee I would quote a price pr day in country pr man and then work out a payment plan with a good chunk up front to deposit in your account.

There is no rate for work like that it's whatever you can negotiate.

growler

It a job for Haliburton, through a construction company, that I regularly do business with. Just have never done it out of country.

You need to know how to enforce a contract anywhere you work to include here in the US.

If this is an American company you would have the contract here.

The best way to enforce a contract anywhere is to get as much money as possible before job completion.

donaldelectrician

I am not sure about working less than a year on taxes ... I understood that you can not step foot back in this country for a year or you could be charged taxes .

Don

growler

I am not sure about working less than a year on taxes ... I understood that you can not step foot back in this country for a year or you could be charged taxes .
Don

If you make enough money in the first 6 months working you could take a 6 month vacation in Dubia but that would probably cost more than the taxes. It would be fun.

You are right it's time out of the country and not time spent working.

donaldelectrician

If you make enough money in the first 6 months working you could take a 6 month vacation in Dubia but that would probably cost more than the taxes. It would be fun.

You are right it's time out of the country and not time spent working.

Yea . You probably will loose your return ticket if you do not fly out of the same country you worked in , but 6 months in the islands ... hmmm .

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.