GFCIs under kitchen sinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I am being told that a GFCI is needed under a sink, but I cant find anything in 2014 NEC requiring that. Inspector claims its in there. :blink:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am being told that a GFCI is needed under a sink, but I cant find anything in 2014 NEC requiring that. Inspector claims its in there. :blink:

210.8(A)(7) states (for dwelling) within 6' of a sink. I suspect under the sink is within 6'

kwired

Electron manager
I regret to say that's it :( But that's 6 feet within a sink, not under.
I think you will see variations in how this is interpreted, but I think a majority will use the concept that if a six foot long cord plugged into the receptacle will reach the sink then it needs protected, even if a cabinet door needs to be open to do this. This may even make protection required in an upper cabinet receptacle should such a cord be able to reach the sink.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I think you will see variations in how this is interpreted, but I think a majority will use the concept that if a six foot long cord plugged into the receptacle will reach the sink then it needs protected, even if a cabinet door needs to be open to do this. This may even make protection required in an upper cabinet receptacle should such a cord be able to reach the sink.

But I would think if that was the intent of the NEC then it would explicitly say that. If that was indeed the intent then I would need GFCI protection behind the adjacent wall as well the basement ceiling right below the sink.

IMO 6 foot would be the other edges of the sink rather than underneath.

kwired

Electron manager
But I would think if that was the intent of the NEC then it would explicitly say that. If that was indeed the intent then I would need GFCI protection behind the adjacent wall as well the basement ceiling right below the sink.

IMO 6 foot would be the other edges of the sink rather than underneath.
That is the problem, NEC did not make their intent all that clear and the reason you will see differences in opinions of how to enforce it. I wouldn't be surprised to see a change in 2017 that does clarify the intent to some degree.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
That is the problem, NEC did not make their intent all that clear and the reason you will see differences in opinions of how to enforce it. I wouldn't be surprised to see a change in 2017 that does clarify the intent to some degree.

I hope its changed. Guess the AHJ is technically correct?

electricalist

b6d1e21364f0ab06cea6ac45848adb4e.jpg

This is from 210.8(8)

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I agree with the Handbook, I just cant picture someone taking a toaster with a 1 and half foot cord and plugging it underneath the sink.

Status
Not open for further replies.