SER in cable tray

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
All takes me back to post #4 and trying to visualize a compliant install.
392.6(H) requires the tray be accessible, 334 prevents SE from being used above a drop or suspended ceiling so what's left.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
They could say...
Type SE service-entrance cable used for interior wiring shall comply with the installation requirements of Part II of Article 334 for Type NM [or NMC, or NMS], excluding 334.80.
One difficulty of your interpretation, that the 338.10(B)(4)(a) phrase "installation requirements of Part II of Article 334, excluding 334.80" means only those sections of Part II of Article 334 that don't specifically refer to type NM cable, is that 334.80 itself refers to type NM cable. So since the authors included the phrase "excluding 334.80" in 338.10(B)(4)(a), it means they expect that the preceding language in 338.10(B)(4)(a) would include 334.80, i.e. that it includes sections of Part II of Article 334 that do specifically refer to NM cable.

Cheers, Wayne

Smart $

Esteemed Member
We are not going to agree on this. There is no reason for the NM article to reference other cable types. The SE article does that. All of the rules in Part II of Article 334 apply to where it is being used for interior wiring. For all practical purposes the rule in 338 is saying that SE becomes NM where used in an interior location.

It applies, I have never seen anyone question it.

Would it be your opinion that if I use SE for inside feeders (and we do) that no rules in 334 apply?
For all "intents and purposes" I agree with you both. But I have a hard time with it if we get into literal interpretations.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
All takes me back to post #4 and trying to visualize a compliant install.
392.6(H) requires the tray be accessible, 334 prevents SE from being used above a drop or suspended ceiling so what's left.

I can't see it being compliant however if a cable tray is installed and all the cables installed in it are nm and ser then I really don't see why it needs to be accessible. Basically it is just an easy method to lay the cables to perhaps avoid drilling joists. Hopefully the op will chime in

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I can't see it being compliant however if a cable tray is installed and all the cables installed in it are nm and ser then I really don't see why it needs to be accessible. Basically it is just an easy method to lay the cables to perhaps avoid drilling joists. Hopefully the op will chime in
Because the code says so:)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Because the code says so:)
Yeah-- that's the catch.. So if I install a short piece of gutter-- no ends-- as a sleeve to lay wires in then I would not have to have it accessible.

I see the tray as just a means to lay the wires into an keep the cables apart. I still would like top know why the tray is used.

stonecutter

The cable tray is being used as a means of support. The construction of the deck is steel.
So, Art. 392 requires access to the cable tray. Would this requirement be for the entire span?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The cable tray is being used as a means of support. The construction of the deck is steel.
So, Art. 392 requires access to the cable tray. Would this requirement be for the entire span?
Exposed and accessible except through partitions and walls [392.18(E)].

takelly

I think that the code allows SE cable exposed in the dropped ceiling, if it is a multifamily dwelling.
334.12(A)(2) Exposed in dropped or suspended ceilings in other than one- and two-family and multifamily dwellings.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I think that the code allows SE cable exposed in the dropped ceiling, if it is a multifamily dwelling.
334.12(A)(2) Exposed in dropped or suspended ceilings in other than one- and two-family and multifamily dwellings.
Note the heading on 334.12 Uses NOT permitted

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Note the heading on 334.12 Uses NOT permitted
The way he wrote it up seems contradictory, but when you take into consideration 334.12 is uses not permitted, exposed in dropped or suspended ceilings of multifamily buildings is permitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.