Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: Bonding of Isolated Grounding system to plant electrode system, i.e. ground loop

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    265
    I agree the 'link' should occur in an accessible location. I just have to convince the client his idea is not a good one.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    21,263
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale001289 View Post
    The sole connection to plant grounding system as required by 250.50 can result both common mode noise and objectionable currents. The removable link allows the field to 'trouble-shoot' the isolated grounding system and theoretically eliminate both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale001289 View Post
    Mainly it's about common mode noise - not a loop
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale001289 View Post
    I agree the 'link' should occur in an accessible location. I just have to convince the client his idea is not a good one.
    All I see is someone looking for a reason to leave the EGS and the triad disconnected, i.e. completely isolate the equipment from the EGS. Doing so violates the listing for all equipment furnished with a ground prong or terminal.
    I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    265

    Bonding of Isolated Grounding system to plant electrode system, i.e. ground loop

    Smart-clientes love to do this . They hate the fact that a 'noisy, dirty' GES is connected to their precious DCS and PLC shields - i.e. isolated GES or Triad
    Unfortunately doing so is a violation of 250.50


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Posts
    8,623
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale001289 View Post
    Smart-clientes love to do this . They hate the fact that a 'noisy, dirty' GES is connected to their precious DCS and PLC shields - i.e. isolated GES or Triad
    Unfortunately doing so is a violation of 250.50


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dirt Worshipers can not be reasoned with.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right. Robert Hunter

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    265
    Agreed


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    16,627
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    Dirt Worshipers can not be reasoned with.

    Remember, a triad is in the shape of a cone foil hat and every-bit as effective.

    Roger
    Moderator

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    21,263
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale001289 View Post
    Smart-clientes love to do this . They hate the fact that a 'noisy, dirty' GES is connected to their precious DCS and PLC shields - i.e. isolated GES or Triad
    Unfortunately doing so is a violation of 250.50
    It's a bleed over from one particular type of IEC grounding that is permitted. Tell them to get a backbone and do it the American way.
    I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by Smart $ View Post
    It's a bleed over from one particular type of IEC grounding that is permitted. Tell them to get a backbone and do it the American way.

    I will do everything I can to convince them. The 'removable link' will be removed and will NEVER find its way home again.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northern illinois
    Posts
    15,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale001289 View Post
    I will do everything I can to convince them. The 'removable link' will be removed and will NEVER find its way home again.
    JMNSHO.

    If they have paid for this link, and it is code legal, you have an obligation to provide it unless they authorize its removal.
    Bob

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    21,263
    Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    JMNSHO.

    If they have paid for this link, and it is code legal, you have an obligation to provide it unless they authorize its removal.
    Using it to disconnect from the GES is noncompliant.... period.
    I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •