kW Meters / Voltage Taps / Circuit Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

bchurch

We have installed sever external mounted kW meters (http://www.kele.com/power-monitoring-and-protection/engenius.aspx) that tie into a building automation system for monitoring. The electrical inspector is requiring circuit protection (10AMP circuit breakers) on the voltage taps. Since these voltage taps are for monitoring only is there any special allowance in the NEC that would allow the voltage taps to be installed without being tied to circuit breakers (circuit protection)? Some of the taps as long at 10 - 15 ft. from the CB panel to the kW meter.

iwire

Staff member
I would not even consider doing this without overcurrent protection. We either use in line fuses or class CC fuse holders in the equipment the taps are made in.

You don't see the a danger without OCP?

bchurch

My inquirey was not a matter of questioning the OC protection it was more what OC protection can be provide. The electrical inspector is requesting that the OC protection be breakers in the panels. Some of the panels do not have room for additional breakers and some of the other panels the breakers can be costly, we are looking for another alternative. The class CC fuses with fuse holder would be an ideal solution, do you recall the NEC section where this is an acceptable wiring method when taping the bus? Thank you for your help.

I would not even consider doing this without overcurrent protection. We either use in line fuses or class CC fuse holders in the equipment the taps are made in.

You don't see the a danger without OCP?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You have an interesting situation. "Tapping" the buss is frowned upon by many inspectors without factory approval which is almost impossible to obtain.
My first approach would probably to use the fuse kits noted in the earlier post and, if a breaker can't be added, find one where the lugs will accept a 2nd #14 wire.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You have an interesting situation. "Tapping" the buss is frowned upon by many inspectors without factory approval which is almost impossible to obtain.
My first approach would probably to use the fuse kits noted in the earlier post and, if a breaker can't be added, find one where the lugs will accept a 2nd #14 wire.
And just accept that opening that shared breaker will disable the meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.