Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Wraps

Vehicle Wraps

Coppersmith, in this thread, where we were talking about marketing methods, said "In three years I've only had one person tell me my vehicle signage is what caused them to call me. Most vehicles wraps I see are so "busy" it's hard to make out the company name and phone#. I would suggest concentrating on the back of the vehicle since people will be staring at it for long periods when waiting behind you in traffic. Be simple in design. One advantage of a vehicle wrap is it will turn a used, ugly, rusty vehicle into something new-like. Works especially well on used U-Haul box trucks from what I've seen."

So I thought I'd start a thread about vehicle wraps. I agree, yes our wrap makes a "mature" E-150 look presentable, and definitely more professional.

I don't expect people to look at it while they're driving, but the hypothesis is that while we're in a residential area, people figure "If my neighbor is using them, they must not suck," and call.

I guess our graphics co had talked to Coppersmith, because the name and phone# is big.

Please share your vehicle wrap in this thread, if you're not embarrassed. Only ask for feedback if you can take it. Yes, I can take it. Fire away.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A. View Post
    Coppersmith, in this thread, where we were talking about marketing methods, said "In three years I've only had one person tell me my vehicle signage is what caused them to call me. Most vehicles wraps I see are so "busy" it's hard to make out the company name and phone#. I would suggest concentrating on the back of the vehicle since people will be staring at it for long periods when waiting behind you in traffic. Be simple in design. One advantage of a vehicle wrap is it will turn a used, ugly, rusty vehicle into something new-like. Works especially well on used U-Haul box trucks from what I've seen."

So I thought I'd start a thread about vehicle wraps. I agree, yes our wrap makes a "mature" E-150 look presentable, and definitely more professional.

I don't expect people to look at it while they're driving, but the hypothesis is that while we're in a residential area, people figure "If my neighbor is using them, they must not suck," and call.

I guess our graphics co had talked to Coppersmith, because the name and phone# is big.

Please share your vehicle wrap in this thread, if you're not embarrassed. Only ask for feedback if you can take it. Yes, I can take it. Fire away.

What I like about your graphics are the name and phone number are clearly visible. It's also uncluttered.

What I like less is, I don't know for sure who you are. If I had to guess, it's "Mel Electric, Inc.". The lightning bolt up front is cute, but if I saw you driving by I'd probably think you were "El Electric". IMO, save the bolt for the middle where it would act as a divider between "Mel" and "Electric". Or "El" and "Electric". Or "I El" and "Electric".

Is that your real phone number? Seems odd they'd give out 666 as the first three...
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Is that your real phone number? Seems odd they'd give out 666 as the first three...
    Maybe it was supposed to be "Evil Electric"?

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    Maybe it was supposed to be "Evil Electric"?
    That prefix is actually used in a lot of places.

http://www.thedirectory.org/bypref/666.htm
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

With phone numbers drying up because of all the cell phones why would you think 666 couldn't be used? Many places are going to ten digit dialing. 200 through 999 prefixes are all in use. 1 can't be used (100-199) because the digit 1 tells the central office that the following digits are an area code.

555 is the only exception. 555-xxxx (Like 555-TACO) is supposed to work like an 800-xxx-xxxx from anywhere in the country but it turned out to be a train wreck because none of the phone companies cooperated with each other to make it work except locally.

-Hal

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    With phone numbers drying up because of all the cell phones why would you think 666 couldn't be used? Many places are going to ten digit dialing. 200 through 999 prefixes are all in use. 1 can't be used (100-199) because the digit 1 tells the central office that the following digits are an area code.

555 is the only exception. 555-xxxx (Like 555-TACO) is supposed to work like an 800-xxx-xxxx from anywhere in the country but it turned out to be a train wreck because none of the phone companies cooperated with each other to make it work except locally.

-Hal

Initially 555, and in particular 555-1212 was used as the standard "not a number" number that could be freely used in TV, movies, radio, etc. so that nobody would be harassed by viewers trying the number they saw or heard.

Right, but today we can't afford to give up a whole prefix and 10,000 numbers to Hollywood.

-Hal

Realistically you could just print Electrician as big as you can with your phone number under it and call it good. I worked with a guy years ago when I was an apprentice that would give his own card out when someone walked up to us in the van and he never got caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A. View Post
    I thought the same thing at one time. I always ask people how they found out about me. To paraphrase what I said before, nobody has ever told me they called me because they saw my truck sitting in a neighbor's driveway. However, I have been told many times that a neighbor has recommended me. I don't think there is any correlation between the two events, but I've never asked that question.