Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Arc Flash - Electrically Safe

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    95

    Arc Flash - Electrically Safe

    Attended a continuing ed class on the changes in 2018 NFPA 70E recently.

    Have been working on developing my own Excel worksheet on this topic, but have a question on what would seem a simple clarification.

    If a building owner selects NEVER to allow energized work, is a Arc-Flash study required ?

    I took away from the class that it was NOT, but another statement was the following....
    In order to validate that no voltage exists, an electrician or maintenance worker is still required to SUIT UP based on available incident energy.

    What is wrong here, besides my note taking ability.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    2,215
    The scope of energized work per company policy?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northern illinois
    Posts
    15,683
    I don't see there's any practical way to select never allowing live work. As a practical matter for the most part you are only allowed to do live work for debugging and testing anyway and you can't really do that with the power off.
    Bob

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Rutland, VT, USA
    Posts
    283
    Until it has been tested de-energized, it must be assumed to be energized. Therefore, PPE rated for the incident energy level must be worn. Not sure if the utility de-energizes the system by opening the cutouts on the riser pole (assuming here that it is a fused padmount txf) and with the open visible break, if the utility tests dead on the txf high side that would preclude testing inside the facility.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    2,215
    Quote Originally Posted by wbdvt View Post
    Until it has been tested de-energized, it must be assumed to be energized. Therefore, PPE rated for the incident energy level must be worn. Not sure if the utility de-energizes the system by opening the cutouts on the riser pole (assuming here that it is a fused padmount txf) and with the open visible break, if the utility tests dead on the txf high side that would preclude testing inside the facility.
    Some plants may allow normal on/off operations without PPE rated for the incident energy level.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Rutland, VT, USA
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahib View Post
    Some plants may allow normal on/off operations without PPE rated for the incident energy level.
    Not sure how this applies to testing for de-energization of equipment as you don't need arc rated PPE for normal on/off operations as long as you are operating/using the equipment as designed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    2,215
    Quote Originally Posted by wbdvt View Post
    Not sure how this applies to testing for de-energization of equipment
    Before de-energization of equipment, the operator has to approach the equipment (unless it is remote operation) and operate it. For that no PPE rated for incident energy level is required for normal operation and for using the equipment as designed, as you told.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Placerville, CA, USA
    Posts
    18,459
    But to then confirm that the equipment is deenergized you need to do more (such as open the enclosure and insert voltmeter leads), which is not exempt from PPE requirement.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    2,215
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    But to then confirm that the equipment is deenergized you need to do more (such as open the enclosure and insert voltmeter leads), which is not exempt from PPE requirement.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    "Arcshield" equipment from Allen Bradly has arc flash resistance design even with cover opened for maintenance.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northern illinois
    Posts
    15,683
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    But to then confirm that the equipment is deenergized you need to do more (such as open the enclosure and insert voltmeter leads), which is not exempt from PPE requirement.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    however, you can add these to make it possible to test for voltage w/o needing anything other than PPE for electrocution hazards.

    http://www.graceport.com/safeside/p-s10s21-m3rx
    Bob

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •