Carharts

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I have two pairs of Carhartt pants, both purchased at the same time, B11 style, the lighter weight type. They were new June 2014, I haven't worn them that much as they are summer weight, but both had defects in the fabric where it had frayed.
Carhartt has a warranty on defects http://www.carhartt.com/content/carhartt-warranty-page
I emailed them, got a quick reply, I replied with the requested information, then they sent a UPS prepaid label, and off they went.
Today (sunday) I followed up on my request, got a reply right away that they pants are being replaced and I should have them in 7-10 days.

So thats pretty good customer service. I like there B11s, as I have a pocket for my ten-in-one, and separate pocket for my fluke tester.

John120/240

Thank You Tom for the positive note about Carhartt. It seems real customer service is a thing of the past what with automated answering machines; Press #1 for...
A recent thread comes to mind about Fluke with less than acceptable results.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That's good to know as I wear only Carhartt work pants, from the lined ones in the winter to the lightweight ones in the summer. Don't get me started on Fluke. :)

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I found my Carhartt jacket at a Burlington Coat Factory of all places. I was looking for a new winter-weight coat. Well after I got it, I was actually looking forward to some cold weather to test it in. It certainly got a workout this winter, and came through like a champ.

ceb58

One thing about Carhart is, depending on where you are dictates the weight of the clothing. My wife and I were in Kentucky early last fall and we went into a Tractor supply just killing time. They had just put out their long sleeve tee shirts and my wife brought it to my attention how much thicker they were. We bought several to bring back for myself and Christmas gifts. When we got back to NC we checked the local store and the ones we got in KY. were twice as thick for the same price.

PetrosA

Generally I used to like wearing Carhartts, also the B11s. Then, they started making them in Mexico, then in China, and price stayed the same and went up. And they wore out in a year or so anyway - knees chewed up and back pockets punctured. So I tried a few alternatives. I tried the Wranglers with Ripstop, then Wranglers denim, then I tried Propper tactical pants with Ripstop, then finally I tried Propper twill tactical pants with the 65/35 polyester/cotton blend. They have so far dramatically outlasted any pair of Carhartts I ever owned. They cost about $39. The pockets are way more useful than what Carhartt provides (two deep rear, two shallow rear, two "dress" front pockets with reinforcements where a tape measure clips on, two cargo pockets in front, plus a "cell phone" pocket that I use for my flashlight. The ONLY thing lacking is a hammer loop.

Today I actually just ordered two more pairs of the Proppers, two years after I ordered the first two pairs. They have quickly become my favorite work pants, hands down and they still cost $39.

shortcircuit2

Generally I used to like wearing Carhartts, also the B11s. Then, they started making them in Mexico, then in China, and price stayed the same and went up. And they wore out in a year or so anyway - knees chewed up and back pockets punctured. So I tried a few alternatives. I tried the Wranglers with Ripstop, then Wranglers denim, then I tried Propper tactical pants with Ripstop, then finally I tried Propper twill tactical pants with the 65/35 polyester/cotton blend. They have so far dramatically outlasted any pair of Carhartts I ever owned. They cost about $39. The pockets are way more useful than what Carhartt provides (two deep rear, two shallow rear, two "dress" front pockets with reinforcements where a tape measure clips on, two cargo pockets in front, plus a "cell phone" pocket that I use for my flashlight. The ONLY thing lacking is a hammer loop.

Today I actually just ordered two more pairs of the Proppers, two years after I ordered the first two pairs. They have quickly become my favorite work pants, hands down and they still cost $39.

Looks like a good product. Do they use Velcro on the pockets?

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
its a good read
https://www.carhartt.com/content/content-125-history

they make stuff that lasts a lifetime. i had a zipper hooded sweatshirt style jacket for abut 15yrs, years ago i was running my 4" angle grinder and it touch on of the pockets, put a 1/2" slice just in the top layer. since then it had gone through the wash about 26x/year and that small cut never got any bigger! they make some really good stuff.

PetrosA

Looks like a good product. Do they use Velcro on the pockets?

Yes, the front cargo and cellphone pockets have overlapping tabs with velcro. The rear pockets don't have flaps but do have a velcro tab at the top which is easy enough to cut out (it interferes with sliding tools into the pocket). The thing about the rear pockets that's strange at first is that they have two compartments in them - a deep part and a shallow part. The deep part is deep enough that 9" linemans will disappear into the pocket completely so I usually use the shallow part for my pliers, dikes and screwdrivers and the deep part for an adjustable wrench.

They're not as tight fitting in the butt as jeans or Carhartts so it saves the back pockets from getting punctured. They also have an elastic section at the waist that makes it a lot easier to get into different positions.

I got these:

http://tacticalgear.com/propper-tactical-pants-lapd-navy~1

Status
Not open for further replies.