Bonding jumper to water pipe- where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Lets say that you ran a GEC to the water pipe where it enters the house and also jumped the meter.

You then drive a pair of ground rods and run that bonding jumper from the rods to the water pipe.

Does it matter where you attach the jumper to the pipe? Are there any limitations? Or can it be done in any random spot? Under the kitchen sink, behind the toilet, etc?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It can be connected within 5' of the pipes' entrance into the structure or it can connect the the water pipe GEC at any accessible point.

hurk27

It has to connect to the portion of the water pipe that is used as the electrode, which is the first 5 feet where it enters the building, it can also be ran to the service disconnect/panel or meter if so allowed by the utility/inspector, it is not allowed to be just connected anywhere on the water system, because the whole reason that the water pipe must be backed up with another electrode, is because at some later time the water pipe is made ineffective as the grounding electrode by a plumber or the home owner using plastic sections, and this would also make the rods no longer connected to the electrical system.

jumper

2011 NEC

250.68(C)(C) Metallic Water Pipe and Structural Metal. Grounding
electrode conductors and bonding jumpers shall be permitted
to be connected at the following locations and used
to extend the connection to an electrode(s):
(1) Interior metal water piping located not more than 1.52 m
(5 ft) from the point of entrance to the building shall be
permitted to be used as a conductor to interconnect electrodes
that are part of the grounding electrode system.

Vector

Excellent, thank you to all 3 of you, you made it very clear.

I knew the GEC had to be connected to the first 5' but I didn't read into it enough to see that the bonding jumper (if used) had to be connected there too.

I've always been one to run the #6 from the ground rods all the way back to the panel, but with the price of copper, I decided to start running it to the cold water pipe if it's shorter. I just hope that's not something that NJ inspectors shoot down due to local amendments or personal opinions.

Vector

Doesn't NJ have a statewide code with amendments?

As far as I know, yes.

But there are always other issues. I never saw a requirement in the code or amendment to put duct seal on an SE connector on a meter pan, but they still want to see it, for example.

kwired

Electron manager
As far as I know, yes.

But there are always other issues. I never saw a requirement in the code or amendment to put duct seal on an SE connector on a meter pan, but they still want to see it, for example.
Sounds like whatever inspector is requiring this needs some duct seal in his mouth.:slaphead:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've always been one to run the #6 from the ground rods all the way back to the panel, but with the price of copper, I decided to start running it to the cold water pipe if it's shorter. I just hope that's not something that NJ inspectors shoot down due to local amendments or personal opinions.

There is no local amendment. As far as shooting down what you've proposed that would only be due to their ignorance of what the NEC actually says.

. I never saw a requirement in the code or amendment to put duct seal on an SE connector on a meter pan, but they still want to see it, for example.

If the connector required duct seal is should come with the connector when you buy it. :roll:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You're in NJ, have you ever heard of inspectors wanting duct seal on the SE connector ont he top of a meter pan?

I've seen it on 50 year old services that I've ripped out. I see guys install it on new installations too, and I too have installed it in the past. Bottom line is it's not required.

Vector

I've seen it on 50 year old services that I've ripped out. I see guys install it on new installations too, and I too have installed it in the past. Bottom line is it's not required.

Have you ever heard of inspectors wanting duct seal on the SE connector on the top of a meter pan?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
And what it needs to be done when the water pipe coming from the streets is PVC?

If the water pipe is PVC then you need to use another electrode from Article 250. If the rest of the piping is all metallic within the structure then you're required to bond that at any convenient point along the piping system.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes, if there are no other electrodes present then 2 ground rods minimum 6' apart will be all that you need to create a GES.

jasd

Adding a question

Adding a question

Hello all,

This is my first time here in the forum and this thread was very helpful to me. I would like to add another question to this topic:
It is known that you can connect your GEC to either 3 locations: overhead service, meter or main service diconnect. So let's say I
connect it to the meter (coming from the rods); now I also have available the water pipe inside the house (service panel inside the house and meter outside), do I have to run another EGC from the water pipe to the meter? or Could I connect it to the grounding bar in the panel?, provided there is no main bonding jumper that is no connection between grounded and grounding terminals.

Thank you

J.S.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The water pipe or other electrodes can go to any of the places you mentioned. They all don't have to go to the same location. So, in your case, the water pipe bond can go to the interior service panel and the rod electrode to the meter.

Make sure the power company will allow the grounding electrode conductor in the meter. I hear that some utilities will not allow it

jasd

Hello Dennis,

I appreciate your quick response . I'll make sure with the POCO if it's possible to connect the GEC to the meter.
One last thing, if my GEC goes to the grounded terminal in the meter and my other GEC from the water pipe goes to the panel, I shouldn't connect the grounded wire to the grounding bar in the panel, right? the service panel will be just like a subpanel.

J.S.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Hello Dennis,

I appreciate your quick response . I'll make sure with the POCO if it's possible to connect the GEC to the meter.
One last thing, if my GEC goes to the grounded terminal in the meter and my other GEC from the water pipe goes to the panel, I shouldn't connect the grounded wire to the grounding bar in the panel, right? the service panel will be just like a subpanel.

J.S.

The service panel will have the equipment grounding conductor and the neutral bonded together. There are only 3 conductors coming from the meter-- 2 hots and a neutral. That neutral is bonded to the case so the grounding electrode conductor can connect to either because they are the same.

The service panel is not the same as a sub panel. You cannot take the grounding electrode conductor from a sub panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.