Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Portable Emergency Power - Inverter

Quote Originally Posted by FionaZuppa View Post
    my view is this, there are folks out there as smart and smarter than Elon, and if we are not seeing a jump onto the same wagon from others then i suspect Elon is chasing a falsehood.

consumer market is not really a market for consumers, its a gimmick to get consumers to buy into expensive systems (typically a lease) where the installer (solar vendor) profits and the consumer saves just a little bit.

i know of no POCO who wishes every home in AZ/TX/CA/NM to have 20kW of panels on the roof to power home itself and to feed extra to the grid, actually, they like feeding to the grid for resale, they just wont pay you for it!
    That very much depends on how you arrange things and where you are located. In a typical scenario, the regulators will look for a couple of things. First they will require power producers to provide "x" amount of "renewable/green" energy. Solar/wind farm operators are guaranteed a certain number of kW-hr of sales. In addition, they may require producers to take/pay for whatever power is being produced at any given moment. That's 100% market penetration based on production. Who would turn that down? Last but by no means least, there may be preferential feed-in tariffs that offer the renewable producer payment for the electricity he provides at above-market rates. Based on the spread between demand and production, grid operators may be paying other grids to take their power while pay the renewable folks 2 or 3 times the market rate for electrons. One guess who pays for all of this.

my view is this, there are folks out there as smart and smarter than Elon, and if we are not seeing a jump onto the same wagon from others then i suspect Elon is chasing a falsehood.
    There are several other legit players in this market, including LG Chem and others who are using Panasonic products like Tesla is.

Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    There are several other legit players in this market, including LG Chem and others who are using Panasonic products like Tesla is.
    using Panasonic for what?

using Panasonic for what?
    Tesla uses Panasonic battery cells. Tesla's technology is all in the assembly.

Pika is another residential energy storage company using Panasonic cells.

LG Chem, which makes cells for Chevy's EVs, is using their own cells in their residential energy storage products.

its not clear to me how much of the lithium side Tesla was handling.
    https://www.tesla.com/blog/battery-c...ns-gigafactory

seems like Panasonic methods perhaps? or does Panasonic have a section of the space for making the cells?

seems like partners using the space. i thought Tesla had their own lithium batt technology, etc.
    The Gigafactory is being built in phases so that Tesla, Panasonic, and other partners can begin manufacturing immediately inside the finished sections and continue to expand thereafter.
    and if Li batts last way longer than std chem batts, and Giga factory can quickly replace the worlds batt demand, isnt that bad for production volume because once all the crap batts are replaced we wont need so many any longer??

seems like an ok way to proliferate the distribution of a dangerous/toxic material, lithium. also seems non-sustainable because the lithium metal is rather limited. how well does lithium recycle? and its not just lithium metal being used
    see https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...cle-recycling/
    see http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2010/ph240/eason2/
    Last edited by FionaZuppa; 10-11-17 at 10:47 AM.