Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 wire system

2 wire system

I was wanting to know can you use a 3 prong Receptacle . by replacing a 2 wire Recpteplace If you put in a non Ground G F C I and labeled Receptacles No ground protected by ground fault interrupter ? I am Confused inthe Code book it states onething then another please Help ?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by arrail.thomas View Post
    I was wanting to know can you use a 3 prong Receptacle . by replacing a 2 wire Recpteplace If you put in a non Ground G F C I and labeled Receptacles No ground protected by ground fault interrupter ? I am Confused inthe Code book it states onething then another please Help ?

You can replace a non-grounding receptacle with a GFCI type receptacle (NEC 406(D)(2)(b))
    or with a grounding-type receptacle supplied through a ground fault circuit interrupter (NEC 406(D)(2)(c))

Running a separate/new EGC is an option also. See 250.130(C).
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    Running a separate/new EGC is an option also. See 250.130(C).
    Either way, since 2011 the circuit must also be AFCI protected per NEC 406(D)(4)
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

Thank you for the understanding

What i plan on doing is replacing the receptacles and labeling all new recptacles with 3 prong . At the beging of the circuit replace breakers with dual Afci /Gfci breakers. This will solve 6 of my problems with the INSPECTOR

Some local exceptions don't require permits for wall-plug replacements, but Dual Functions without inspector backup is risky.

Found nasty review on Yelp, after Dual-function outlet tripped on 2-wire building. Another contractor told client it never belonged there.

NEC 406.4(D)(2) & (3) was clearly explained "typewritten" on that invoice. Angry client didn't care. I got screwed with no permit backing me up.

AFCI's breakers may be preferred, since people want breaker trouble fixed by a professional, rather than gardeners, or carpenter friends.

Most customers understand GFCI outlets, but are being tempted to solve Dual-Function AFCI-outlet issues with a standard plug.
    Last edited by ramsy; 10-03-17 at 12:29 PM.
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

So here is what im about to do. The 2 wire system needs the lights and receptacles to be AFCI protected. So in order to accommodate changing the plugs to three prongs these have be protected by a GFCI correct. So my plan is to jump ahead of the circuit and just supply a dual breaker to accommodate the code. This i believe will eliminate installing a bunch of GFCI receptacles or do i need to separate the two. AFCI for the circuit and GFCI receptacle for the beginning of the plug(which is allow on one circuit after observation). I just think three dual breaker would be easier to do and diagnose off something was wrong later.???????

Quote Originally Posted by arrail.thomas View Post
    So here is what im about to do. The 2 wire system needs the lights and receptacles to be AFCI protected. So in order to accommodate changing the plugs to three prongs these have be protected by a GFCI correct. So my plan is to jump ahead of the circuit and just supply a dual breaker to accommodate the code. This i believe will eliminate installing a bunch of GFCI receptacles or do i need to separate the two. AFCI for the circuit and GFCI receptacle for the beginning of the plug(which is allow on one circuit after observation). I just think three dual breaker would be easier to do and diagnose off something was wrong later.???????

You are correct- in order to swap out the legacy 2w devices to 3w, you have to gfci (or do what jumper mentioned above)

Yes, a dual function afci/gfci breaker will satisfy both the 406.4(D)(2)(C) gfci option and the 406.4(D)(4) afci requirement regarding replacing 2w recs w/ 3wire. This is a good idea b/c of the layout of many old houses- there may not be a "1st" rec. They had a habit years ago about hitting the ceiling boxes 1st, then feeding recs from there- think spidering out, hub and spoke scheme etc.

ETA- Don't (sigh....) forget about 250.114......
    Last edited by user 100; 10-10-17 at 12:25 AM.

Why AFCI?

AFAIK, AFCI is not retroactive unless a new circuit is pulled from the panel. So why not just install replacement 2 wire receptacles and be done with it? I would also think replacing a 2w with a 3w GFCI would also avoid the AFCI requirement.