Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Amazingly poor customer service

Quote Originally Posted by cdslotz View Post
    The OP didn't say anything about no response from email or phone....just fax

can you site an example of big orange or blue swallowing up an electrical supply house?
    Its impossible to know exactly why any one individual business fails; however a lot of the smaller houses have griped about being undercut by the big boxes on many items, and yes, some have disappeared-exactly why, again, who knows. The point was that incompetence (mentioned here many times before....) only makes the switch easier.

And yes, the op did only mention a fax. But a few supply houses also have a nasty little habit of the phone going to VM, or swearing that they didn't get an email- this all says "We don't need your business."

You need to address the fax specifically to your inside salesman, not just to whoever may pick it up, to give yourself a better chance of getting a timely response. If you don't regularly do business at the place you may not have an inside salesman, or you get one by default if you have an account but he don't know you anyway because you never do business with him, that puts you low on the priority of processing your request.

Emails or phone calls are similar - contact your inside sales person, not the new counter guy who was the only one available at the time to answer the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Emails or phone calls are similar - contact your inside sales person, not the new counter guy who was the only one available at the time to answer the phone.
    I normally just call the counter person and get a fairly immediate response. I thought five items was too much to just call for.

Quote Originally Posted by cdslotz View Post
    The OP didn't say anything about no response from email or phone....just fax
    No response period from two of the supply houses including the one that lost the fax, I resent and verified they received and they promised immediate action.

The one with the broken fax that I emailed, did get back to me. The salesperson was dumber than a rock. I did finally order from them basically because I ran out of time to wait. None of three deserved my business.

I found a fourth SH online that I thought about using. Their website wasn't clear about availability so I called and left a VM. Never got a call back.

Quote Originally Posted by user 100 View Post
    Its impossible to know exactly why any one individual business fails; however a lot of the smaller houses have griped about being undercut by the big boxes on many items
    An online search for a small three phase panel I need gave prices ranging from $120-700. This is why checking prices is necessary. I certainly would have paid more than $120 to a local supply house (about $160 would be the limit) because I value person to person interaction and dealing with brick and mortar businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    An online search for a small three phase panel I need gave prices ranging from $120-700. This is why checking prices is necessary. I certainly would have paid more than $120 to a local supply house (about $160 would be the limit) because I value person to person interaction and dealing with brick and mortar businesses.
    Just make sure that you are comparing apples with apples.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Quote Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
    Just make sure that you are comparing apples with apples.
    And oftentimes, a supplier will give you a price without telling you which fruit it is.

It is not unusual for it take 5 business days (or even more) for me to get a price out of any of the supply houses we deal with on a regular basis.

You can get a list price off their web site but the price is meaningless.

At one time they have all promised that our real prices would be reflected in the price displayed on the website but except for Newark, none of them have been able to make that work reliably. We have been burned enough that the owners now require some kind of direct written quote from a vendor because they do not trust the prices from the websites.
    Bob