Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 57

Thread: Amazingly poor customer service

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tampa, FL, USA
    Posts
    937

    Amazingly poor customer service

    I faxed a request for price quotation (five easy to look up items) to three supply houses Sunday night. Nobody responded. It's almost two days later so I decided to call and ask for an ETA.

    Supply house 1 - Confirmed received Monday 7:13am by receptionist, no one in quote department answers phone, left message.

    Supply house 2 - "Fax? What fax? We don't see no stinkin' fax anywhere." Confirmed fax number. Fax resent. Called to confirm receipt.

    Supply house 3 - "Oh, our fax machine is broken." She gives me her email to send a copy. (Not sure how many people use fax any more, but a cheap fax machine is like $100.)

    eta: And why don't they unplug the fax machine so it doesn't receive and fool people into thinking it's also printing them out.

    Anyone who has read my previous posts on supply houses knows I'm not a fan. Let's add this to the pile.
    Last edited by Coppersmith; 10-03-17 at 02:46 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    I faxed a request for price quotation (five easy to look up items) to three supply houses Sunday night. Nobody responded. It's almost two days later so I decided to call and ask for an ETA.

    Supply house 1 - Confirmed received Monday 7:13am by receptionist, no one in quote department answers phone, left message.

    Supply house 2 - "Fax? What fax? We don't see no stinkin' fax anywhere." Confirmed fax number. Fax resent. Called to confirm receipt.

    Supply house 3 - "Oh, our fax machine is broken." She gives me her email to send a copy. (Not sure how many people use fax any more, but a cheap fax machine is like $100.)

    eta: And why don't they unplug the fax machine so it doesn't receive and fool people into thinking it's also printing them out.

    Anyone who has read my previous posts on supply houses knows I'm not a fan. Let's add this to the pile.
    Yes, very poor.
    Can't you just buy the parts on line?
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tampa, FL, USA
    Posts
    937
    Quote Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
    Yes, very poor.
    Can't you just buy the parts on line?
    Yes, but I wanted to see if I could get better prices.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    Yes, but I wanted to see if I could get better prices.
    The soul of competition. If you want my business, let me see your prices.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tampa, FL, USA
    Posts
    937
    Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    The soul of competition. If you want my business, let me see your prices.
    Or provide something of value besides commodities. If somebody had responded yesterday and they were not vastly more than the online prices they would have had my business because I prefer to deal with companies in-person.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Napa, CA, US
    Posts
    50
    Although it could be better, this seems like annoyingly status quo. Amazingly poor might be an overstatement given the state of customer service in the world. You may be having a bad day.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    Yes, but I wanted to see if I could get better prices.
    Don't those supply houses have on line catalogues?
    I can't think of any we dealt with that didn't unless you are after something built and, from your description, it doesn't seem like you are.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
    Don't those supply houses have on line catalogues?
    I can't think of any we dealt with that didn't unless you are after something built and, from your description, it doesn't seem like you are.
    If you're going to someone like Graybar, sure, you can look it up on line. More local houses may not have that capacity. In any event, I would prefer to simply list the quantities and model numbers and let someone else do the legwork. I've got stuff to design, I don't need to be a stock clerk too.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Posts
    9,290
    We have three supply houses in our county. Only one lists a FAX number.

    Today, it's always best to call ahead and let someone know you are sending a FAX. Even if you had to leave a voice mail that you were. FAX is dying. It's a slow death though. Many people thought FAX would be gone years ago, with the advent of the .pdf.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

    Marky the Sparky

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Posts
    9,290
    I am becoming less and less of a fan of supply houses. Most recently, all I was looking for was 16 AWG solid single conductor wire. I had to order it off the Internet.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

    Marky the Sparky

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •