Thread: Conductive materials

Conductive materials

I just started studying. Beginning on the basics. In "Basic Electrical Theory 3rd edition" page five section "1.5 Charged Material (Static Charge)" It states, "If two conductive materials in contact with each other..." What is conductive materials here? Not copper wires, not conductors of electricity right?

Quote Originally Posted by LukeLex View Post
    I just started studying. Beginning on the basics. In "Basic Electrical Theory 3rd edition" page five section "1.5 Charged Material (Static Charge)" It states, "If two conductive materials in contact with each other..." What is conductive materials here? Not copper wires, not conductors of electricity right?
    Anything conductive, as opposed to something that is typically an insulator.

So, yes, electrical conductors will be chosen from economically drawn-to-wire substances that are excellent conductors, like copper and aluminum.

I'm also a welder. This is a good example of where we are often using steel as a conductor.

I guess the "edit post" feature times out on this site; which is unfortunate. I misread the OP a bit and now see the focus on "static charge." Complicates the answer a bit, as well as might make some other materials "conductive" in this context.

It states, "If two conductive materials in contact with each other..." What is conductive materials here? Not copper wires, not conductors of electricity right?
    Conductive materials ARE conductors of electricity. Copper, aluminum, brass, steel, gold, silver even water and the earth. Copper wire is made if copper because it is a conductive material. Conductive materials have varying degrees of conductivity IE some are better than others. Copper, gold and silver are high on the list. Earth and water are at the bottom.

-Hal