Thread: Generator Grounding

Generator Grounding

The generators that we connect normally use the power company neutral. In the recent hurricane, the power company lines in many areas were destroyed. When the generator runs in this situation, the generator neutrals and grounds are separated at the generator. Does the generator become a separately derived system and do the neutral and ground need to be tied together?

If the generator is using the neutral from the power company then it is NOT a separately derived system. Only when the neutral is derived from the generator is it a separately derived system.

BTW, welcome to the forum
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Couple of useful graphics, click to enlarge.

Attachment 18663

Attachment 18664
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wells View Post
    The generators that we connect normally use the power company neutral. In the recent hurricane, the power company lines in many areas were destroyed. When the generator runs in this situation, the generator neutrals and grounds are separated at the generator. Does the generator become a separately derived system and do the neutral and ground need to be tied together?
    No. You are using the generator and building wiring when you are on generator power. Just because the poco neutral is down right now you still are your using the service point or service disconnect as the spot to bond the neutral to the earth and to establish a fault clearing path same as always.
    If Billy Idol or John Denver is on your play list go and reevaluate your life.