emergency lights required ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireman1

is emergency lites required in a oral surgeons area where he does surgery to extract teeth root canals etc as required by art . 517 .25 scope 2008 nec

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Since this is An Anesthetizing location (assumption because of the term Oral Surgeons) the answer is yes but not due to 517.25, it's 517.63(A)

Roger

electricalist

is emergency lites required in a oral surgeons area where he does surgery to extract teeth root canals etc as required by art . 517 .25 scope 2008 nec
I ask that even if the code doesnt require it please put one,,I cant afford more counseling from the thought of their not being one the next time I have a dentist appointment. Please

kwired

Electron manager
I ask that even if the code doesnt require it please put one,,I cant afford more counseling from the thought of their not being one the next time I have a dentist appointment. Please
Actually I believe it depends on the anesthesia methods and other medical related codes/licensing as to what makes one an "oral surgeon" vs. a typical "dentist". Both are still in an art 517 area, but the regular dentist can only use "local anesthesia" and possibly can not get quite as invasive with procedures they do as an oral surgeon can.

I once had the regular dentist send me to an oral surgeon for an extraction because the close proximity to the sinuses of the root of that tooth had him concerned enough that if something caused a problem with the sinuses the oral surgeon could deal with that problem whereas he couldn't. That oral surgeon only gave me local anesthesia, but informed me he could if I preferred or if it became necessary could put me totally out for the procedure. He also connected me to a heart monitor and watched my vital signs during the procedure - the regular dentist doesn't even have that kind of equipment, and of course his bill was higher then an extraction would have been from the regular dentist.

electricalist

Actually I believe it depends on the anesthesia methods and other medical related codes/licensing as to what makes one an "oral surgeon" vs. a typical "dentist". Both are still in an art 517 area, but the regular dentist can only use "local anesthesia" and possibly can not get quite as invasive with procedures they do as an oral surgeon can.

I once had the regular dentist send me to an oral surgeon for an extraction because the close proximity to the sinuses of the root of that tooth had him concerned enough that if something caused a problem with the sinuses the oral surgeon could deal with that problem whereas he couldn't. That oral surgeon only gave me local anesthesia, but informed me he could if I preferred or if it became necessary could put me totally out for the procedure. He also connected me to a heart monitor and watched my vital signs during the procedure - the regular dentist doesn't even have that kind of equipment, and of course his bill was higher then an extraction would have been from the regular dentist.
Bet that story would be slightly diff if you were in there and the lights went out and the was no e lights, while he was drilling away.

kwired

Electron manager
Bet that story would be slightly diff if you were in there and the lights went out and the was no e lights, while he was drilling away.
He can stop drilling and ultimately will have to unless his drilling equipment is also backed up (I think they are generally pneumatic operated so they would have some time until pressure is lost) but if he has you under more then local anesthesia and/or is in a more invasive procedure - for your health benefit may not want to stop or will at very least need to continue to monitor you until you have recovered from the anesthesia.

david

The essential electrical system for facilities are interesting since they are required, but each facilities needs are different, only the person of charge for the facility can make that determination.

Here we make note, by reference to 517.25 on the plans and rely on the facility management to make that determination, unless there is a specific requirement other than for egress purposes.

kwired

Electron manager
The essential electrical system for facilities are interesting since they are required, but each facilities needs are different, only the person of charge for the facility can make that determination.

Here we make note, by reference to 517.25 on the plans and rely on the facility management to make that determination, unless there is a specific requirement other than for egress purposes.
I believe other codes/regulations from whoever is the medical licensing authority will have an impact on these requirements as well not just the facility owner/manager.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Any area that fits the definition of Anesthetizing Location in NFPA 99 and NFPA 70 would require a battery powered fixture period.

Roger

david

I believe other codes/regulations from whoever is the medical licensing authority will have an impact on these requirements as well not just the facility owner/manager.

That would be the Department of Health in this state, I never seen a set of plans come through the office yet that extend emergency lighting outside the egress requirements, when the building wasn't identified a Hospital. That's why we make note to essential electrical systems for health care and let the person of charge weather that be the design professional or the facility management decide where to extend emergency systems in other types identified as a health care facility.

david

Any area that fits the definition of Anesthetizing Location in NFPA 99 and NFPA 70 would require a battery powered fixture period.

Roger

As a electrical plans examiner and an electrical inspector I have no authority to require emergency lighting . All I can review and inspect is the wireing requirements The building department makes those determinations. All plans involving health care facilities have to first be approved by the department of health before they reach our review.

All I am saying is we make note to the essential electrical systems provisions in the NEC I have never seen a set of plans come through the Department of Health That where rejected base on extending emergency lighting outside of Hospitals

david

Roger

I did a quick search, very quick, and I came up with 517.33 for the critical care areas on the critical branch
Did I miss some other section if so I would like to make the building department aware so they can address this.

david

Roger

I see where you are coming from with 517.63 (A) But we always took that to be in addition to 517.45 (B) which kicks you to 517.30 and 517.35

I took this discussion to be about unit equipment being the only source of the required emergency lighting system .

Sorry>>>>>>>>>>>

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I see where you are coming from with 517.63 (A) But we always took that to be in addition to 517.45 (B) which kicks you to 517.30 and 517.35

I took this discussion to be about unit equipment being the only source of the required emergency lighting system .

Sorry>>>>>>>>>>>
No need for an apology, it's all good.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.