My Wyotech teacher tonight argued with me about grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

The most important class I could have taken outside of any major (graphic arts) would have been Sports 101. I am evidently unusual in that I have absolutely no interest in sports, but it's often a major topic of conversation at jobsites. Other helpful courses would have been:

- Right Wing Politics - The Basics
- Tolerance in the Face of Idiocy - Theory and Application
- Zen and the Art of Tuning Out Music You Hate

Unfortunately, no school I ever went to offered any of those classes. I'm still learning.

kwired

Electron manager
Depends on what they are. If you want to take (and pay for) them thinking that they will make you more literate, fine. I have no problem with some math as well as english and writing. If you are going to be an electrician it would certainly be nice to be able to write and communicate and figure profit, loss and do electrical calculations. But those "institutions" that require 14th century poetry, art, history, gym and other irrelevant courses just shows me that they are out to empty your pockets.

-Hal
I suppose what level of degree is recieved makes a difference as well. If you are going to receive a BA then I can understand some classes that may seem irrelevant, but those are types of classes taken by others that receive a BA as well, but for an associate degree or lesser - usually all you get is technical classes related to your area of study and a few other classes that really apply to almost anyone like my earlier mentioned first aid, human relations, personal finance, career composition...

If you want to study a trade and someday open your own business in that trade - some business related courses wouldn't hurt either, but those often are not required for a technical or trade school to earn a degree, unless your major is business.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Yep. So much for my idea of going to teach there just for the experience.

Word is they are talking to a buyer for the Wyotech group at least. The other business schools like Heald are not likely to get picked up. Demand for that kind of office skillset has been waning for a while, companies can get basic office stuff done in India now and Palistan now for dirt cheap compared to the cost of employees. Doesn't matter where the phones and computers are. But trades are different. I can't call an electrician in Pakistan and expect him to wire my hot tub. A couple of the local JCs just pumped out a few quick ads on TV here for Refrigeration Tech and HVAC certification programs, I suspect there will be electrical and plumbing programs added in ASAP

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
It's a real shame that we don't have a lot of places where one can get into the trades.
Our Public school's have decimated what we once had call SHOP class. We don't teach our kids to work with their hands. Kid's graduate from high school without some of the skills we once thought as basic.
No auto class- Get stuck on the road oh yeah call AAA. The AAA comes out and it was only a connector

No wood class- , no metal class, no electric class, no shop class!

Then we rely on places like Wyotech that do a poor job and get closed up.

kwired

Electron manager
It's a real shame that we don't have a lot of places where one can get into the trades.
Our Public school's have decimated what we once had call SHOP class. We don't teach our kids to work with their hands. Kid's graduate from high school without some of the skills we once thought as basic.
No auto class- Get stuck on the road oh yeah call AAA. The AAA comes out and it was only a connector

No wood class- , no metal class, no electric class, no shop class!

Then we rely on places like Wyotech that do a poor job and get closed up.
The few schools that still have "shop" classes are either dropping or limiting them because that is what their insurance carrier recommends:(

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
The few schools that still have "shop" classes are either dropping or limiting them because that is what their insurance carrier recommends:(

However we have full contact sports.
I don't buy that stuff for one second.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Ya know what is really worse here.
The students that have been ripped off. Won't get to complete their training.
And will probably be held liable to pay for the student loans taken out to pay for their classes.

Not good. :rant:

Way to go Kamilla Harris, CA attorney General!

mgookin

Ya know what is really worse here.
The students that have been ripped off. Won't get to complete their training.
And will probably be held liable to pay for the student loans taken out to pay for their classes.

Not good. :rant:

Way to go Kamilla Harris, CA attorney General!

And it's not just private entities either. In Florida they discovered that tuition was 1/3 the national average so they tripled cost of attendance over the period in which they put everything into automation using garbage translated to broken English from other countries hosted on disorganized servers which never worked. I save some screen shots from some of it. Read a paragraph 10 times trying to figure out just what they're saying. And people with Ph.D.'s are writing the stuff. I'd like to know where they got their credentials! Education turned into big BIG business.

Some student loans are forgiven (or reduced) if the school goes out of business:

https://studentaid.ed.gov/about/announcements/corinthian
"You may be eligible for a 100% discharge of Direct Loans, Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program loans, or Federal Perkins Loans you received to attend any school under either of these circumstances:[...]"

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Some student loans are forgiven (or reduced) if the school goes out of business:

https://studentaid.ed.gov/about/announcements/corinthian
"You may be eligible for a 100% discharge of Direct Loans, Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program loans, or Federal Perkins Loans you received to attend any school under either of these circumstances:[...]"

that is good.
I hope some tuition can be recovered that was not a loan.
This really does suck for those who were enrolled. They did not know any better. They were just looking for a career.

This company must have done some egregious things to have the plug pulled on them.

kwired

Electron manager
However we have full contact sports.
I don't buy that stuff for one second.
Don't buy the fact that insurance doesn't like the risks of the "shop"? It happens. Insurance doesn't prohibit those activities, school boards modify programs so there is less risk to get lower insurance premiums, or they eliminate the program altogether.

Full contact sports in these parts is not on the school, athletes/parents sign liability waivers and need to have their own coverages for injuries, in fact the school often even has (doesn't administer, but does distribute information) insurance companies that offer coverage that is just limited to sports injuries, or or other optional coverages for the student are available as well, but most high contact sports need a separate policy or a rider to another policy to be covered.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
that is good.
I hope some tuition can be recovered that was not a loan.
Federal programs seem to cover only loan amounts.
California has a program that can reimburse out-of-pocket, non-loan, expenses. But a state spokesman stated yesterday that the program does not apply to accredited institutions. That will leave students at the Corinthian schools out of luck.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Don't buy the fact that insurance doesn't like the risks of the "shop"? It happens. Insurance doesn't prohibit those activities, school boards modify programs so there is less risk to get lower insurance premiums, or they eliminate the program altogether.

Full contact sports in these parts is not on the school, athletes/parents sign liability waivers and need to have their own coverages for injuries, in fact the school often even has (doesn't administer, but does distribute information) insurance companies that offer coverage that is just limited to sports injuries, or or other optional coverages for the student are available as well, but most high contact sports need a separate policy or a rider to another policy to be covered.

Yeah , yeah ....... that method is really a scam if you think about it.
Those sports are played on school grounds, use school equipment, use school coaches, use school utilities, use school administration ... I could go on and on.

kwired

Electron manager
Yeah , yeah ....... that method is really a scam if you think about it.
Those sports are played on school grounds, use school equipment, use school coaches, use school utilities, use school administration ... I could go on and on.
Maybe so, but at same time you likely will need to drag them to court before they will pay if you have a claim incident, so you can't just sit back and think they are totally bluffing. School districts do also have paid attorneys for the purpose to make recommendations for such policies, they don't just come up with them on their own. Not saying someone couldn't challenge such a policy but their attorney that recommends this probably knows that they will have less claims to pay in general with such a policy then with no policy at all.

And the insurance industry - don't even get me started on their shark methods of getting out of paying claims as much as possible - they likely will try to make the school pay even though the school recommended you buy their policy:happysad:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Maybe so, but at same time you likely will need to drag them to court before they will pay if you have a claim incident, so you can't just sit back and think they are totally bluffing. School districts do also have paid attorneys for the purpose to make recommendations for such policies, they don't just come up with them on their own. Not saying someone couldn't challenge such a policy but their attorney that recommends this probably knows that they will have less claims to pay in general with such a policy then with no policy at all.

And the insurance industry - don't even get me started on their shark methods of getting out of paying claims as much as possible - they likely will try to make the school pay even though the school recommended you buy their policy:happysad:
You are so right!

allvoltage

New User
my so called teacher at Wyotech west sacramento ca year 2012 - 2013

my so called teacher at Wyotech west sacramento ca year 2012 - 2013

got in rolled had to postpone start date by one month so started in faze two instead one really mad it harder. only went to tenth grade in high school took there test to see if im smart im no dummy I passed it they just wanted to get the $ 20,000.00 from me in my controls class the teacher asked us what we to do everone got a A+ even if u missed days that's very wrong

Thank you kwired,

Thank you kwired,

Everything I've learned I had to research myself (BIG THANKS TO MIKE HOLT AND TEAM). I wish there was a school close by I could enroll at that uses his training material. I wish I had the money to buy it, because in my opinion, it doesn't get any better than that.:D Back to my point, Wyotech taught me absolutely nothing!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.