Working space requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Cool

Have tried to attach a photo.

My question is about this panel attached to a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

It sounds to me that this is a violation.

Is that true?

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• Panel1.jpg
    Panel1.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 0

Joe Cool

What does the panel attached to a 4x8 have to do with the work space req.?

Thanks much for all replies!

I guess I am misinterpreting the 3 ft mentioned in Table 110.26(A)(1)

it sounded to me like the panel had to be 3 ft from a concrete wall.

And thanks for mentioning the CPVC pipe above.

Will be sure to relocate.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I guess I am misinterpreting the 3 ft mentioned in Table 110.26(A)(1)

it sounded to me like the panel had to be 3 ft from a concrete wall.
If that were the case, wood and sheetrock structures (typical of many homes) wouldn't have electricity. :D

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Without starting a new thread I am curious what others think about 110.26(A)(3) exception 1. I always assumed that this was meant for an existing panel and a upgrade of it but as I read it it seems to allow me to install a panel in a dwelling, that is 200 amps or less, in a 2 or 3 foot high space.

Obviously this would be a wacko install but what would violate that install? Assume the breakers would be readily accessible.

Exception No. 1: In existing dwelling units, service equipment
or panelboards that do not exceed 200 amperes shall
be permitted in spaces where the height of the working
space is less than 2.0 m (61?2 ft).

magoo5150

Without starting a new thread I am curious what others think about 110.26(A)(3) exception 1. I always assumed that this was meant for an existing panel and a upgrade of it but as I read it it seems to allow me to install a panel in a dwelling, that is 200 amps or less, in a 2 or 3 foot high space.

Obviously this would be a wacko install but what would violate that install? Assume the breakers would be readily accessible.
I believe this exception only applies to existing services of 200a or less. Basically if the existing panel has less than the required working space, the code will let you replace it without moving it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe this exception only applies to existing services of 200a or less. Basically if the existing panel has less than the required working space, the code will let you replace it without moving it.

That is what I always thought but it does not state that clearly. Someone I know brought that up and I said it can't possibly mean that we can install a panel in a 3' space. I just assumed it meant what you stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.