How often do you have to renew your license

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Every year in NC for a license. If you get the require 8 hours of continuing ed then they will send you a bill in the mail for the license. We are very lucky as our state license for unlimited just went up from $75 to $80. A real bargain IMO

kwired

Electron manager
NE all electrical licenses expire on Dec 31 of even numbered years, so every NE license is renewed every two years, and all at approximately same time. They do start accepting renewal applications a couple months or so before the end of the year though. Your application needs received before close of business on DEC 31 to be considered timely filed even if they did not process it yet, but at same time if you wait that long to renew your license did expire on DEC 31 and technically you are not supposed to work until you get your renewed license. There is a grace period for renewal (something like three months) but you must have your required CEU's before DEC 31 or you will have to take the appropriate test again before you can get another license. Also if you are in the grace period you are not allowed to do the work the license grants you to do, and an inspector can ask you to leave the job if you are caught with an expired license.

I will add that apprentices are not "licensed" but must still register and carry a registration card. Those also are issed on same cycle as licenses and must be renewed every two years as well.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
My Washington State Electrical Administrator License has to be renewed every 3 years. It requires a total of 24 hours of continuing education credits. A journeyman license in this state is also renewed every 3 years. The continuing education requirement is 8 hours per year.

I found the following on the Tennessee web site for electrical licensing: "All limited licensed electrician licenses shall expire biennially on the month of their issuance." I am not sure why they use the word "limited" in this context, so you will have to tell us whether that is the type of license you have.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since CEU's have been mentioned we're required to do 34 hours every three years for an electrical contractors license. That's more than physicians and believe it or not more than double the 15 hours required by electrical inspectors. :slaphead:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Every year in NC for a license. If you get the require 8 hours of continuing ed then they will send you a bill in the mail for the license. We are very lucky as our state license for unlimited just went up from $75 to $80. A real bargain IMO

Dennis, I need to talk to who you're talking too, mine has been $165.00 the last few years and it's going up to $180.00 :(

LICENSE RENEWAL FEE CHANGEThe annual license renewal fees were changed in Board Rule 21 NCAC 18B.0404 and take effect
for licenses renewed after June 30, 2015.The Board adjusted fees for the first time in five (5)
years within the limits previously authorized by the General Assembly.
THE COMPLETE TEXT IS BELOW:
21 NCAC 18B .0404 ANNUAL LICENSE FEES
(a) The annual license fees and license renewal fees for the various license classifications are as
follows:
LICENSE FEE SCHEDULE
CLASSIFICATION LICENSE FEE
Limited $ 85.00
Intermediate $130.00
Unlimited $180.00

Roger

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
In Washington we renew our electrical certifications every 3 years on our birthday, you go on line and use a credit card, if you have 24 hours CE then you get your card in about a week. Its about $60, more if you do it in person or mail a check.
Contractors licenses are renewed every 2 years, don't know much about that. By state law there is only one certification required state wide, which is great for all.

TobyD

The state of Tn. for my license is every two years no CEU's.For Al. it's each year and CEU's are required in Al..I'm currently holding local licenses in at least 7 municipalities in addition to the state requirement.The renewal costs vary based on the amount of work performed in each jurisdiction.However there is a cap to a certain extent.Then we have permit fees..

Status
Not open for further replies.