120v & 277V Through a 2p switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I bet the ballasts are universal voltage and could be added to the exhaust fan circuit.

I would do it in a heartbeat and note it on the as built drawing.

I'd put in a contactor with a 277v coil and keep the circuits like the print show, but that's just me.

JAP>

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
All I was getting at is that you just cant always simply "change the fixtures to 120v, problem solved".
If you take it upon yourself to change the light fixtures to 120v instead of 277v like it was designed and the plans show, just to be able to run a 120v exhaust fan, then I feel your the one making the mistake not the designer.

Thanks,
JAP>

I'm like Bob, I would do it with no hesitation and keep the job moving. If I was real concerned I'd simply write an RFI and force the designer to fix the problem.

Roger

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I'm like Bob, I would do it with no hesitation and keep the job moving. If I was real concerned I'd simply write an RFI and force the designer to fix the problem.

Roger

That's your choice although I don't see the point of not keeping things circuited as the prints shows.

JAP>

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
That's your choice although I don't see the point of not keeping things circuited as the prints shows.

JAP>
And I might do it your way if I was going to be compensated by way of a change order. The contactor, enclosure, and labor will have cost associated with it. If the designer can have the mistake corrected with no cost they will most likely jump at it.

Roger

jglavin427

And I might do it your way if I was going to be compensated by way of a change order. The contactor, enclosure, and labor will have cost associated with it. If the designer can have the mistake corrected with no cost they will most likely jump at it.

Roger
Around these parts the no-cost RFI is like a unicorn!

480sparky

120V Lighting doesn't work out well with 277v designed lighting schemes, and the issue on the table.

JAP>

You've already got 120v run for the fan. I can't comprehend any size bathroom where changing the lighting from 277 to 120 is going to seriously upset the system or screw up the calculations.

jap

Occupation
Electrician

Roger

That's for sure.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
You've already got 120v run for the fan. I can't comprehend any size bathroom where changing the lighting from 277 to 120 is going to seriously upset the system or screw up the calculations.

Probably would do neither. Just make the circuitry not match the prints for no reason.

480sparky

Probably would do neither. Just make the circuitry not match the prints for no reason.

Why is it so important that this particular installation be 110% 'according to the prints'? I would hardly consider a Code violation 'no reason'.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Why is it so important that this particular installation be 110% 'according to the prints'? I would hardly consider a Code violation 'no reason'.

My original question was the legality of having a 277v and a 120v circuit switched through a 2p switch, which was answered early on.
It was never about what could be done to get around it.
It was your suggestion to change it to 120v instead of 277v which would work, but that's not what the question was about.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Prints don't show a contactor though, so no matter what way it is done there is a change to something.

Never disputed that fact, but doing it with a contactor keeps the circuits as the prints shows.
If the plans show Panel H-1 feeding the lights and Panel L-1 feeding the exhaust fan, then,that's the way I like to keep it, but I guess I'm the only one that feels that way after reading all of the replies.

Thanks,
Jap>

iwire

Staff member
Never disputed that fact, but doing it with a contactor keeps the circuits as the prints shows.
If the plans show Panel H-1 feeding the lights and Panel L-1 feeding the exhaust fan, then,that's the way I like to keep it, but I guess I'm the only one that feels that way after reading all of the replies.

If you were the customer would you rather the EC add a contactor that will need replacement at some point or just change the location the circuit originates in?

I know what I would want.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
If you were the customer would you rather the EC add a contactor that will need replacement at some point or just change the location the circuit originates in?

I know what I would want.

Most end users dont even know what a contactor is.

kwired

Electron manager
Most end users dont even know what a contactor is.
Or know what everything on the prints mean.

Who looks at them once construction is completed anyway - at least for dwellings and light commercial applications, maybe more common in industrial environments or more complex commercial/institutional. Even if you do look at them you can't always fully trust what is on the plan is what is there, but you do have an idea of the original intentions. Things do change over the years with no additions to those plans as well.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
But they do know what a repair is.

I can understand that, but anything can fail, and I dont see a contactor as any more of a weak link than a ballast or switch or any other electrical device.

The differences in opinions on this subject probably comes from what electrical background you come from, never really thought of it that way. There are many different backgrounds on this forum, I can see all sides. I come from an industrial background and have dealt with a lot of control wiring. I guess that's where I get hung up on the circuit numbers being like the print show, at least the power wiring will be correct,the control part of it is just second nature to me.

None of the suggestion are wrong , just different ways of doing things. Some would change the lighting to 120 and go on, I myself would leave the power wiring per the print and change the control.

Thanks,
JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Or know what everything on the prints mean.

Who looks at them once construction is completed anyway - at least for dwellings and light commercial applications, maybe more common in industrial environments or more complex commercial/institutional. Even if you do look at them you can't always fully trust what is on the plan is what is there, but you do have an idea of the original intentions. Things do change over the years with no additions to those plans as well.

I agree.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.