feeders through a work piece

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,
I'm somewhat new here so forgive any ignorance I may have. My company is looking to bid a job that requires building cabinets and countertops for a mall eat in area. It will be in roughly a 15'x15' square. All utilities are coming up from the floor. One of the subcontractors has placed a load center fairly far back in the cabinet, approximately 12-14 away from the spot where the utilities emerge from the floor. I'm looking for anything code wise that speaks to whether or not they can run the feeder line through the cabinetry that long and if a disconnect would be needed or not. Any help or direction would be appreciated. thanks!
Josh

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I know of noting in the Code that would prohibit a properly protected feeder thru the cabinet but
110.26 would require the panel have proper clearance which would mean it would need a minimum clearance of 30" wide, 36" deep and 6-1/2 ft of head room.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I know of noting in the Code that would prohibit a properly protected feeder thru the cabinet but
110.26 would require the panel have proper clearance which would mean it would need a minimum clearance of 30" wide, 36" deep and 6-1/2 ft of head room.
Make sure that you are using the right terminology here.
A load center (sub panel) which feeds branch circuits in various locations must meet the access requirements mentioned above, but if there is a way of opening the cabinetry surrounding it to provide the headroom when needed that would probably be OK.
What looks like a load center but is an internal part of a piece of listed equipment, on the other hand, is not subject to the same requirements (unless it is serving as the required disconnect location for that equipment.)

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
A load center (sub panel) which feeds branch circuits in various locations must meet the access requirements mentioned above, but if there is a way of opening the cabinetry surrounding it to provide the headroom when needed that would probably be OK.
What looks like a load center but is an internal part of a piece of listed equipment, on the other hand, is not subject to the same requirements (unless it is serving as the required disconnect location for that equipment.)
So that's how they get away with it. I remember working in a DelTaco and turning off breakers under the cutting boards.

That's an excellent point that I had started thinking about after I posted. I'll have to see how they are labeling that. It seems from the print that the panel in the cabinet is fed from a breaker in the building (mall) sub panel, so I'll have to see how the are treating the panel in the cabinetry. It's obviously a load/distribution center as it has a main breaker to power the panel, but not sure how it's classified. Thanks.
Josh

kwired

Electron manager
That's an excellent point that I had started thinking about after I posted. I'll have to see how they are labeling that. It seems from the print that the panel in the cabinet is fed from a breaker in the building (mall) sub panel, so I'll have to see how the are treating the panel in the cabinetry. It's obviously a load/distribution center as it has a main breaker to power the panel, but not sure how it's classified. Thanks.
Josh
The load center is listed (well probably is unless you have some one of a kind thing), but your cabinets you are custom building and installing it in is likely not. What was mentioned earlier that is listed is when the entire assembly including the housing that holds all of it are listed as one unit. If it were listed you as the builder of the product would also be installing the electrical components and presenting the entire assembly to the listing agency - only field installed items would be the supply conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.