3 phase, dual voltage generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

stwwtp

My company is buying a 3 phase, dual voltage portable generator. 240/480 and 120/240.
I am wiring 7 lift stations to have the ability to use the generator as a back up.
5 of the electric services have a ccw rotation and 2 have a cw rotation.

Obviously the generator will run one direction so in order to get the rotations all the same for plug and play operation do I just have to switch the leads coming from the pole? After that I will have to change the rotation of the motors.

Is it that simple?

kwired

Electron manager
My company is buying a 3 phase, dual voltage portable generator. 240/480 and 120/240.
I am wiring 7 lift stations to have the ability to use the generator as a back up.
5 of the electric services have a ccw rotation and 2 have a cw rotation.

Obviously the generator will run one direction so in order to get the rotations all the same for plug and play operation do I just have to switch the leads coming from the pole? After that I will have to change the rotation of the motors.

Is it that simple?
How are you connecting the generator to each facility? Some kind of power inlet or are you wiring them in each time you have to use them? If the power inlet option just get the right rotation to match generator - two will be different then the other 5 but all you need to do is pull up the generator and plug it in.

If you have to wire the generator in every time you use it then you likely need to either reverse everything (if you want same input lead sequence at every station) or just make sure you clearly have it marked somehow which output lead goes where.

stwwtp

I am trying to make it idiot proof. The generator will just plug in to a large power outlet. That way I don't have to be there when it is needed.
That's why I need to have the rotations all set up and ready to go.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am trying to make it idiot proof. The generator will just plug in to a large power outlet. That way I don't have to be there when it is needed.

Set the rotation on the generator to match the five ccw stations. Swap the rotation on the generator side of the transfer switch on the other two. Power goes out, drive up, plug in, turn on, good to go.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

How do you set the output voltage of the generator, what if its on 240/480 and is connected to 120/240?
What I would suggest is to use an IEC 309 connector, they are different for each amperage and voltage. The LS will have the corresponding inlet, the generator switch selects the appropriate plug.
IEC 309 is a great standard as the products are compatible between manufacturers and are color coded.

kwired

Electron manager
Oh and what is 240/480?
A delta system with midpoint of one phase grounded. Has 240 volts to ground on two phases and a high leg of approximately 416 volts. Seems logical if his generator has dual voltage output that would be the high voltage if the low voltage is a 120/240 delta with high leg.

Or just a single phase 240/480 system, but OP said he had three phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.