Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical Licence

Electrical Licence

So I know it varies from state to state, but right now I live in PA. I went to tech school for two years and got an associate's in electrical construction. Never worked for an electrician though. Started an LLC and did part time small jobs, then went full time this past year. Things are going well, but at some point in the next few years I would like to take the master test. Ever heard of someone being able to take the test in my scenario before? Didn't know if they would let me.

Can you just take the NEC test and get a state license?
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

IMO, it is more important to know the NEC than it is to have a masters license. The tests I have seen are very much theory oriented and although that is beneficial I see the nec rules more important

Quote Originally Posted by gulf0927 View Post
    So I know it varies from state to state, but right now I live in PA. I went to tech school for two years and got an associate's in electrical construction. Never worked for an electrician though. Started an LLC and did part time small jobs, then went full time this past year. Things are going well, but at some point in the next few years I would like to take the master test. Ever heard of someone being able to take the test in my scenario before? Didn't know if they would let me.

Does PA even have a master electricans license?
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

I don't think they do, it seemed like each city requires tgheir own and may or may not accept one's from other cities. Really wish this was a bit more uniform given the NEC is national😕

I don't think they do, it seemed like each city requires tgheir own and may or may not accept one's from other cities. Really wish this was a bit more uniform given the NEC is national������
    I have a coworker who lives in PA and does some work there, he told me that there is no license required just a permit and an inspection.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

I thought there were city licenses required in some areas but I am not sure a masters or any other license is needed

..Never worked for an electrician though. Started an LLC ... Things are going well, ..Ever heard of someone being able to take the test in my scenario before?
    In my State, unlicensed contractors without qualified employers to sign "certification of work-experience" form 13A-11, can submit equivalent hours in invoices.

Our license board examines each invoice for qualifying tasks related to your license class, then submits any invoice that shows a license violation to the enforcement division. For example, if the independent contractor had no employer, but sufficient hours accumulated in invoices, those invoices better not show any projects over $500.- per Business & Professions Code, CA B&P §7048.
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

Philadelphia has a masters exam and I don't believe there is any requirements to take it, go figure

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by greenawaltmark4 View Post
    Philadelphia has a masters exam and I don't believe there is any requirements to take it, go figure

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Seems to be a step in the right direction if there is no licensing requirement in general at the state level.