How often do you have to renew your license

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I find it interesting to see some of the differences in requirements that have been posted especially some of the differences in fees and CEU requirements.

Comments on CEU requirements for inspectors is also something that gets my attention. To a certain extent the way I see it is those people are dealing with code issues - usually in a wide variety of applications and for the most part they probably don't really need CEU's as bad as guys that are somewhat limited in what they are exposed to, yet do hold a license that allows them to do more then what they ordinarily do. Some inspectors in this area are the ones that are teaching CEU classes anyway - on their own during non work hours not as official reps of the AHJ they otherwise work for. Anyone can teach a CEU class here they just need to get their course approved by AHJ otherwise the credit doesn't count. Many of them do get approved by neighboring states as well so if you do work a larger area your credits also work elsewhere.

hope that wasn't too hard to understand - a lot of do-do in there:)

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
VA is $90 for two years plus about $300 for the EC license. Nowwwww.....for the peoples Republic of Maryland the state is only $25, but.... You have to buy all the county and cities you want to work in. Frederick county $200, PG county $160, City of Rockville $200, City of Gaithersburg $200 and the.........Montgomery County......where they rob you at Gun Point......$600!!!! I have more counties, just can't remember. Most are two year licenses. If you want to be an EC in Maryland it can cost you thousands per year. This Sh!t is ridiculous here

rcarroll

I find it interesting to see some of the differences in requirements that have been posted especially some of the differences in fees and CEU requirements.

Comments on CEU requirements for inspectors is also something that gets my attention.
I need CEU's for my electrical inspectors certificate. That is a requirement from ICC.
As I stated earlier, Colorado electricians have to take a competency test prior to renewal.
Depending on test scores, we may have to take 0, 8, 16, or 24 hours of class time.
This is a state requirement.

kwired

Electron manager
I need CEU's for my electrical inspectors certificate. That is a requirement from ICC.
As I stated earlier, Colorado electricians have to take a competency test prior to renewal.
Depending on test scores, we may have to take 0, 8, 16, or 24 hours of class time.
This is a state requirement.
I understand needing CEU's, but maybe not entirely the same content that a journeyman or an EC needs in those classes.

Here the required 12 hours for license holders must be at least 6 hours based on code, the other six can be any topic that is approved by the State Electrical Division.

Many of our inspectors are license holders or once have been. I guess I don't know how many have kept their licenses or if they are required to, but they should have to do same as anyone else when it comes to renewal, and if additional hours or areas of study is needed for their inspector certification it would be additional.

I guess my point before (and it was only my opinion) is that the six hours on code needed for general licensing shouldn't be needed for inspectors as they spend a lot of time dealing directly with code in the first place, be it directly associated with inspections, staff meetings which they do have frequently and do talk code at those meetings as well as other state rules/laws and how they are going to attempt to be somewhat uniform with enforcement statewide. It is IMO other topic areas that they may need some occasional training on. I guarantee every time we get a new edition of code they spend time as a staff doing some training on any changes anyway.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I just got my Journeyman Electrical License and was wondering how often do you have to renew it. Is it every 5 years?

Calif.

journeymans license three years 32 hours CEU

contractors license two years 0 hours CEU

EPA RRP license five years 8 hours CEU

CALCTP-AT one year CEU TBA, none so far

LEED AP no expiration date 0 CEU

drivers license five years. no CEU

marriage license varies. lots of CEU's

Status
Not open for further replies.