Don't scold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esthy

All the time, when I went underground, no conduit, I covered the conductors in pipe insulation, it protect the wires, only one inspector didn't like it, but after my dis-retirement I will continue using it. Why that inspector didn't like it? I don't think it was based in heat factor as they always are 24" deep.

All the time, when I went underground, no conduit, I covered the conductors in pipe insulation, it protect the wires, only one inspector didn't like it, but after my dis-retirement I will continue using it. Why that inspector didn't like it? I don't think it was based in heat factor as they always are 24" deep.

Well thats a good idea for physical protection...but how much does that cost per 10 feet? 2" PVC is 6 dollars.

Esthy

$1.30 for 6' "tube" and I use it when money is short, no glue, fittings and only both risers at the ends if needed

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

as a relatively inexpensive means of physical protection of the UG cable it has some merit.

smurf tubing is even cheaper though and might be easier to use.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't think gopher go down 2' do they?
I have repaired rodent damaged conductors that were (add "four to")six feet deep many times.

Very first time was about a week into my first job in the electrical trade, and I remember it well as we literally hand dug two "graves" to access and repair two different spots in that cable run.

cadpoint

I'm not sure what your trying to do applying that, but my city, county or state inspector
would ask where's that listed for that use.

Electrons don't freeze till near absolute zero. Yes there could be some consideration for
below Zero degree applications of wire, and wire does move when in lower temperatures as well as higher temperatures

Depending where your frost line is it still won't matter, the frost line is a mean measurement to your area.
yes the ground below the line can freeze. While its a consideration for supply lines and draining waste lines
it just doesn't matter for us. I to took a look at 310 tables and all correction factors stated at 40 deg C.

I get a warm and fuzzy feeling doing some electrical work, but this isn't one! :D

kwired

Electron manager
I'm not sure what your trying to do applying that, but my city, county or state inspector
would ask where's that listed for that use.
I don't know what the reason is either but would have to ask just what does the direct burial rated conductor (assuming we do at least have that) need to be buried in? And what about pulling direct burial rated conductor in a raceway in the first place - that is no longer direct burial.

We run direct bury cables all the time in a pipe (not listed as a raceway) in these parts and have been doing so for years. We do it for rodent protection. But inspectors will not let us use those non listed pipes for conductors not direct burial listed.

I have brought this up before on this site and some think I have done something so horrible I need to go to hell for it.

All I can say to them is right or wrong come here and bid your method against others from the area that use this other method - and it passes inspections - and see who gets the job, unless you find other ways that are code compliant to reduce costs, have a good source price wise on alternate options, or just don't have the same overhead costs.

It is not a bid killer if the underground is a small part of the project - but if most of the project is the underground install like it is for a field irrigation system -- good luck.

Carultch

Are you using it with wire and cable that is rated for direct-burial? If so, I wouldn't see a problem with it. I would make sure that your ampacity has a good safety factor on it, because that is thermal insulation.

If you are running cable that isn't rated for direct burial, then that is a violation. When burying cable such as THWN-2 that isn't rated for direct burial, you need to use conduit that is.

Esthy

I knew I was going to be scolded, so I will not doing it again! But when cheap boss and client say not to conduit, I found that "insulating" those conductors from rocks was good idea. Mea Culpa.

John120/240

I knew I was going to be scolded, so I will not doing it again! But when cheap boss and client say not to conduit, I found that "insulating" those conductors from rocks was good idea. Mea Culpa.

Don't be so hard on yourself. It might be unconventional is somebodys opinion, But if it works for your situation fine. There is nothing inherently wrong or dangerous with your method, just something not use to seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.