Thread: gfci receptacle location kitchen fridge and laundry location??

gfci receptacle location kitchen fridge and laundry location??

For the behind the washer/dryer receptacle and the behind refrigerator receptacle (when within 6 ' of sink) needing gfci protection, has the common practice been installing a gfci receptacle on a wall anywhere local in the kitchen or laundry but not behind the appliance OR putting a combo afci-gfci breaker in (do they work and are not glitchy)?
    Wondering how you guys have been handling it?
    Thank you
    " I'm at a crucial part of my painting "...........Monika Danneman

The GFCI has to be accessible. So anywhere you put as long as it is accessible you are OK.
    Edward
    The only thing I know, is the progressive discovery of my ignorance

I just do the afgf breakers. Because here we use the 2017 NEC and all those area require AFCI protection. A GFCI tamper is about 18 an AFCI is about 47 and an afgf is about 45 so in a price perspective it's a no brained plus the connections on gfcis fail a lot. Oh and they work extremely well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ritelec View Post
    For the behind the washer/dryer receptacle and the behind refrigerator receptacle (when within 6 ' of sink) needing gfci protection, has the common practice been installing a gfci receptacle on a wall anywhere local in the kitchen or laundry but not behind the appliance OR putting a combo afci-gfci breaker in (do they work and are not glitchy)?
    Wondering how you guys have been handling it?
    Thank you
    I would use a GFCI breaker for the refrig. In NJ you do not need AFCI protection for the kitchen.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    I would use a GFCI breaker for the refrig. In NJ you do not need AFCI protection for the kitchen.
    That's good to know. I will look but would that be in the same place where the addendums are for gfci protecting requirements ?

That location thing was in my head. But I'm actually headed out to install a microwave and DW circuit for someone ( in jersey )
    No afci is required ??
    Gfci the DW and also the microwave if the recept is within 6 ' of the sink ?
    Inside cabinet recepts are accessible.

Confirming.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    The GFCI has to be accessible. So anywhere you put as long as it is accessible you are OK.
    As of the 2011 NEC the GFCI protection is required to be readily accessible. The 2017 code explains how you can measure the 6' requirement.
    Ron

That's good to know. I will look but would that be in the same place where the addendums are for gfci protecting requirements ?
    That location thing was in my head. But I'm actually headed out to install a microwave and DW circuit for someone ( in jersey )
    No afci is required ??
    Gfci the DW and also the microwave if the recept is within 6 ' of the sink ?
    Inside cabinet recepts are accessible.

Confirming.

Thank you
    NJ amendments:

iii. In Section 210.12(A), entitled "Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection. Dwelling Units," "kitchens" and "laundry areas" shall be deleted.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Thank you !!