2 ground wires for multiple 3 phase circuits in 1 conduit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started with a company not long ago and they are saying that for multiple 3 phase circuits in the same conduit that we are required to pull seperate egc for each circuit ? I thought that we were only required to pull one per pipe as long as it is sized to the largest circuit in the conduit . Thanks in advance for your answers.

480sparky

Job specifications might say different.

But i have had journeymen think job specs were code.

Charlie's Rule.

It doesn?t say what you think it says, nor what you remember it to have said, nor what you were told that it says, and certainly not what you want it to say. And if by chance you are its author, it doesn?t say what you intended it to say. Then what does it say? It says what it says. So if you want to know what it says, stop trying to remember what it says, and don?t ask anyone else. Go back and read it, and pay attention as though you were reading it for the first time.

The difference is in knowing the correct way to meet nec requirements versus just blindly following orders while you need to listen to your boss you should also look for answers because a lot of people who swear they are right are dead wrong so personally i would rather know tge correct way even if i am told to do something wrong

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
What about circuits that originate from separate panels?
Where they come together in a common box they can be connected together and one is all that is needed beyond that point.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The difference is in knowing the correct way to meet nec requirements versus just blindly following orders while you need to listen to your boss you should also look for answers because a lot of people who swear they are right are dead wrong so personally i would rather know tge correct way even if i am told to do something wrong

In the case you brought up there is nothing unsafe or not to code in running extra green wires, so I don't see how it is "wrong". There may be more cost effective ways to do something, but that does not mean the way you are being told to do it is wrong. There is no need to run the green wires at all if you are using metallic conduit.

Cavie

Job specifications might say different.

But i have had journeymen think job specs were code.

Job specs are never code. BUT you do have to follow them if they go above and beyond what is called for by the NEC as long as they are required by the project engineer. They can never lesson the requirments of the NEC.

iwire

Staff member
In the case you brought up there is nothing unsafe or not to code in running extra green wires, so I don't see how it is "wrong". There may be more cost effective ways to do something, but that does not mean the way you are being told to do it is wrong. There is no need to run the green wires at all if you are using metallic conduit.

As an electrician in the field spending more more money than is required is wrong. No different than throwing usable supplies in the dumpster.

Also not knowing the difference between codes and specifications is just ignorant.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
As an electrician in the field spending more more money than is required is wrong. No different than throwing usable supplies in the dumpster.
And yet millions (maybe billions) of feet of green wire is run inside of metallic conduit every year. It is more than the code minimum. Throwing "usable" supplies away is sometimes more cost effective than inventorying them, removing them from the job, and putting them back into stock.

Also not knowing the difference between codes and specifications is just ignorant.
Agreed.

The code does not require conduit to be painted either, but there can be and often are contractual requirements that it be painted. It is still a requirement regardless of what the field electrician thinks about the necessity or even the propriety of doing so, despite not being a code requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.