Leak detection in pool deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwm1752

I just came across an installation I have not seen. http://leak-detection.com/products/ This product is being installed in the pool deck around the residential exterior pool on the top floor of a multi use building. Please opine.

Same pool and they have a heatape outlet for gutter heattape. The outlet sets within 5" horizontally and is at least 10' above water level - it is not a receptacle or luminaire - the heattape is drawn to be inserted in a downspout of the gutter which is within 5 ' horizontally of the pool water. Heattape is not embedded in the deck - code referral please.

mwm1752

I'll try this again --
According to testing company this installation has been in the US 15 plus years, 1000's plus installations on the East Coast - I see over 100 looks but no comments, has anyone even heard of this?
A little surprised no comments on the second part of the question.

For all out there, hopefully you get a sense of what an inspector can go through, when there are few source's to help analyse an issue in order to make a proper call. I know there are plenty to assign blame if the wrong call is made.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I just came across an installation I have not seen. http://leak-detection.com/products/ This product is being installed in the pool deck around the residential exterior pool on the top floor of a multi use building. Please opine.

I don't know what to say other than it seems like a product that is worthwhile for when the pool is above grade over a living area. I assume the low voltage pulsation is not where someone (a person) can feel it.

Same pool and they have a heatape outlet for gutter heattape. The outlet sets within 5" horizontally and is at least 10' above water level - it is not a receptacle or luminaire - the heattape is drawn to be inserted in a downspout of the gutter which is within 5 ' horizontally of the pool water. Heattape is not embedded in the deck - code referral please.

Any metal objects withing 5' of the pool must be bonded to the equipotential bonding or the perimeter surface bonding 680.26(B). If the gutter is metallic then it needs bonding 680.26(B)(7). The exception No. 3 allows for 12' above the water so it seems like the connection up at 10' if metallic also needs bonding

mwm1752

Thanks for starting the conversation Dennis -- The voltage applied is up to 40VDC low current , voltage is not part of the building power but supplied by the testing company equipment that is not left on sight, Testing company claims building area is not occupied during test, and periodic testing is an option.

The wire mesh laid down for testing will be within 5" of the pool walls and I'm considering the test wire that make contact with it (accessible in a wall) be bonded while not in use as a preventive precaution from accidental energization by some knucklehead. When the testing company comes they would know to float the connection prior to test.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I see-- this is not energized all the time but rather during the testing only. I guess that would not be necessary to do all that bonding but I think the mesh would be a good idea to bond. Will that mess up there system test?

Status
Not open for further replies.