Whole Building Emergency Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelli

So much great feedback! I appreciate it all as it will help me to insure a safe and cost effective design. I love this forum. I am a new member and will be posting and reading here daily I am sure. Please keep feeding me knowledge, as I am learning a great deal. I have more experience then some, but less than a many.

Kelli

mgookin

So much great feedback! I appreciate it all as it will help me to insure a safe and cost effective design. I love this forum. I am a new member and will be posting and reading here daily I am sure. Please keep feeding me knowledge, as I am learning a great deal. I have more experience then some, but less than a many.

Kelli

If nobody said it already, welcome to the forum!

What's great about this forum is that you come across people infinitely more qualified in a particular area than ourselves; if we already knew the answer we would not ask the question.

Nobody knows everything; we all have our own experiences related to projects we have worked on during our lifetimes/ careers.

If it's electric related, this is THE place to be!

kelli

If nobody said it already, welcome to the forum!

What's great about this forum is that you come across people infinitely more qualified in a particular area than ourselves; if we already knew the answer we would not ask the question.

Nobody knows everything; we all have our own experiences related to projects we have worked on during our lifetimes/ careers.

If it's electric related, this is THE place to be!

Thanks so much! I have known of Mike H. for a long time, but never actively participated. Silly me!

Kelli

Standby generator for an entire building

Standby generator for an entire building

I have a customer that wants everything covered by a generator. This is a medical office building with no existing generator. The service is a 120/208V, 800A, 3 ph, 4 wire service. My question is do I have to size the generator for the entire 800A capacity or can I size it per the know load (several years of electric bills)? If the know load is 200A and I size my generator at 85kw (300A) is this a code violation because it isn't sized for the 800A service? Also, because this is a MOB, if I put in a generator am I opening the door to issues of "Emergency" generator verses "Standby" generator?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I have a customer that wants everything covered by a generator. This is a medical office building with no existing generator. The service is a 120/208V, 800A, 3 ph, 4 wire service. My question is do I have to size the generator for the entire 800A capacity or can I size it per the know load (several years of electric bills)? If the know load is 200A and I size my generator at 85kw (300A) is this a code violation because it isn't sized for the 800A service? Also, because this is a MOB, if I put in a generator am I opening the door to issues of "Emergency" generator verses "Standby" generator?

You need to start your own thread on this question, You will get more response that way.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I just jumped to the end here so if this has been mentioned disregard. A fire station is and essential services building and cannot be down for any length of time. So say in an earthquake, such as we had here in 1994 when the power was out for 3 days, that building must be operational.

Status
Not open for further replies.