AFCI receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I'm not on the 2014 code in any of the areas I work. Although CA is going through the update.

Section 210.12 (A)(4) in the 2014 NEC or NFPA 70

Does this section really mean that you can use NM wiring from the breaker panel to the first outlet box where you place a receptacle type afci?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I'm not on the 2014 code in any of the areas I work. Although CA is going through the update.

Section 210.12 (A)(4) in the 2014 NEC or NFPA 70

Does this section really mean that you can use NM wiring from the breaker panel to the first outlet box where you place a receptacle type afci?
Only if the breaker and the outlet device meet (d), including being listed as a combination.
So far that has not happened.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Only if the breaker and the outlet device meet (d), including being listed as a combination.
So far that has not happened.

Ok,
So in the case that a manufacture did make such a animal. How would the portion of the circuit from the panel to the AFCI outlet be protected if in NM. I understand if it is a metallic method it would be greatly more protected than a shouldering NM wire with a nail or other condition compromising the conductor.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Ok,
So in the case that a manufacture did make such a animal. How would the portion of the circuit from the panel to the AFCI outlet be protected if in NM. I understand if it is a metallic method it would be greatly more protected than a shouldering NM wire with a nail or other condition compromising the conductor.
Maybe the combination could only pass the test if the breaker included GFCI? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.