equipotential bonding of above ground pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

FREEBALL

ok so an above ground pool does it require 4 point bonding and do you have to run a perimeter #8 sol around the pool. I say yes it does but inspector said 1 bond to steel is sufficient. I read pool specs for the install im bidding on and it shows 4 clips they call ground clips at 4 points around the pool. The code cycle they are using is 2008, so maybe im off on the requirements. Does anybody have any thoughts. Im bidding as to bond all 4 with the perimeter bond. Now insp. said well you can do that but it isn't enforced. Its difficult to bid a job this way.

Julius Right

Occupation
Electrical Engineer Power Station Physical Design Retired
In my opinion , NEC does not require any number of grounding electrode connection except one[or 2 if the grounding resistance it is more than 25 ohms]. But, to be sure, you may connect it at more points. However, I think the 4 grounding connection points were provided in order to facilitate the connection of grounding electrode conductor coming from any other direction.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
How deep is the pool . Many above ground pools are considered the same as in ground pools.

If it fits this definition then you do not have to follow the equipotential bonding

Storable Swimming, Wading, or Immersion Pools; or
Storable/Portable Spas and Hot Tubs. Those that are
constructed on or above the ground and are capable of
holding water to a maximum depth of 1.0 m (42 in.), or a
pool, spa, or hot tub with nonmetallic, molded polymeric
walls or inflatable fabric walls regardless of dimension.

FREEBALL

The pool is 48 inches deep so it fits definition of permanent. However when I asked AHJ he said the perimeter bonding of 18 to 24 inches was not needed because they are using the 2008 code. However when I look at permanent pools in the 2008 it still says the perimeter needs bonded w/ #8 solid 18-24 inches at 4-6 inches deep around the pool, now I don't have a 2008 code book but when I looked at the specs for the pool it shows the pool being bonded in 4 equal distance points. I quoted the job as such. Any thoughts

Thanx

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I am in Asheville and don't have my 2008 NEC with me but I do believe the 2008 required bonding in this situation.

FREEBALL

I guess another question is since the #8 is to be 6 inches deep how do you maintain the conductor in the ground without it riding up through the surface. The code says 6 inches below finish concrete, pavers or surface. there is no concrete or pavers just finished grade seems the conductor will rise up with the minimal depth involved. I plan on using maybe wooden pins to hold firmly in ground so that grass can take root. Anyway thanx for the input I did happen to stop and ask a pool installer the other day while they were installing a pool and he said they bond directly to pool sheel and just run around the pool shell and showed me the technique, I asked why not in the ground he said he had never heard that. There seems to be a lot of gray area in this application.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The equipotential bonding is required for the perimeter surface. Again not sure about the 2008 but in the 2011 & 2014 you need to run a #8 bare copper conductor 18-24 inches from the inside wall of the pool and 4-6 inches deep. This bond is supposed to keep the entire pool perimeter at the same potential so if stray voltages are present then no one will get hurt.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
ok so an above ground pool does it require 4 point bonding and do you have to run a perimeter #8 sol around the pool. I say yes it does but inspector said 1 bond to steel is sufficient. I read pool specs for the install im bidding on and it shows 4 clips they call ground clips at 4 points around the pool. The code cycle they are using is 2008, so maybe im off on the requirements. Does anybody have any thoughts. Im bidding as to bond all 4 with the perimeter bond. Now insp. said well you can do that but it isn't enforced. Its difficult to bid a job this way.

104.3(B)

Status
Not open for further replies.