Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Receptacle Spacing Question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    109

    Receptacle Spacing Question

    Hello,

    I have two questions on receptacle spacing.In the attached PDF's you will see the highlighted areas where i have a question on.In the first markup when you enter the bedroom i placed a receptacle with in 6' of the door and then i should space it 12' from that.But as you can see there is a break in wall space cause of the entry into bathroom.Do i need a another receptacle with in 6' of the bathroom door?If thats case then i need tow receptacles in that highlighted markup?

    Second PDF question:
    This is a Living/Dining room.They have a WH/HVAC Unit...Do i need a receptacle with in 6' of that door.Yes there is a window and that is a fixed window.So that counts as a wall space and i need to put one?But as you can see i already have another receptacle near the dining table so if i count 12' from that i am okay..But from the closet door i still have to put one?
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Clark County, NV
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by shortcircuit1 View Post
    ...Do i need a another receptacle with in 6' of the bathroom door?If thats case then i need tow receptacles in that highlighted markup?

    Second PDF question:
    ...But from the closet door i still have to put one?
    Yes and Yes.

    Remember that the purpose of the 6'/12' spacing is so that a receptacle is not more than 6' down the wall from any point on that contiguous wall.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ocala, Florida, USA
    Posts
    2,290
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Yes and Yes.

    Remember that the purpose of the 6'/12' spacing is so that a receptacle is not more than 6' down the wall from any point on that contiguous wall.
    One other rule to remember is that if the wall is 24" or wider, then a receptacle is required.


    I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by Strathead View Post
    One other rule to remember is that if the wall is 24" or wider, then a receptacle is required.
    Yes thank you..

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Yes and Yes.

    Remember that the purpose of the 6'/12' spacing is so that a receptacle is not more than 6' down the wall from any point on that contiguous wall.
    Can i consider the space starting from the closet to the bathroom as a hallway?In that case if it is less than 10" i dont need to put one...Am i right on this?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Clark County, NV
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by shortcircuit1 View Post
    Can i consider the space starting from the closet to the bathroom as a hallway?...
    That's a very good question. Are hallways marked as such where there are long ones elsewhere on the prints?

    The fact that the closet and bathroom are separately labeled, even though coming off the labeled bedroom, seems to be an argument in your favor.

    It does seem like any furniture put into this space would interfere with walking down this access to the closet and bathroom, making it, de facto, a passage like a hallway.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ocala, Florida, USA
    Posts
    2,290
    Quote Originally Posted by shortcircuit1 View Post
    Can i consider the space starting from the closet to the bathroom as a hallway?In that case if it is less than 10" i dont need to put one...Am i right on this?
    An AHJ would make the final call, but I would consider that a hallway.


    I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    21,238
    Quote Originally Posted by shortcircuit1 View Post
    ...
    Second PDF question:
    This is a Living/Dining room.They have a WH/HVAC Unit...Do i need a receptacle with in 6' of that door.Yes there is a window and that is a fixed window.So that counts as a wall space and i need to put one?But as you can see i already have another receptacle near the dining table so if i count 12' from that i am okay..But from the closet door i still have to put one?
    You cannot measure any of the required distance(s) across an entry. If it is more than 6' from the receptacle on the drawing right to the utility closet doorway, then you have to put another one in there.
    I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    That's a very good question. Are hallways marked as such where there are long ones elsewhere on the prints?

    The fact that the closet and bathroom are separately labeled, even though coming off the labeled bedroom, seems to be an argument in your favor.

    It does seem like any furniture put into this space would interfere with walking down this access to the closet and bathroom, making it, de facto, a passage like a hallway.
    No they were not labelling hallways in the plans..And i checked the length it is less than 10'..In that case i dont need any receptacle..I would defend that...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by Strathead View Post
    An AHJ would make the final call, but I would consider that a hallway.
    Yup i would see if i get any comments on that but for now i am considering that as a hallway..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •