Flexible cable connection to motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrobe

Is this installation a NEC violation? Motor connection to junction box via flexible cable.

DSC09829 (1280x960).jpg

Nexans Buflex 600V 4/C cable operating at 460VAC.

Thanks

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Without knowing all the particulars such as movement or vibration it would be a difficult call, however, if this is part of a listed piece of assembled equipment the NEC might not be the applicable document.

magoo5150

If this is not part of a listed assembly it must meet the requirements of 400.7(A)(1)-(11). Unless you can show it is to prevent transmission of noise or vibration, it is my opinion that this would not be code compliant.

iwire

Staff member
We really need to determine if the NEC applies to this or not.

It appears to me to be part of a machine and not building wiring which would put it outside the NEC.

kwired

Electron manager
quick search of Nexans Buflex seems to indicate it is a European cable - take that for what it says when it comes to listing and NEC approval.

magoo5150

We really need to determine if the NEC applies to this or not.

It appears to me to be part of a machine and not building wiring which would put it outside the NEC.
It does appear that this is a "skid" type installation and probably is a complete assemby. Listed or not?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
European is often C-E and in my experience cords are often an acceptable wiring method for a C-E machine.
From one inspectors viewpoint the cord would be lesser concern than the lack of a NRTL listing.

Electrobe

I don't think C.E. Is approved by the NEC or OSHA?

Based on the NEC, I would have always considered this to be an NEC violation even if it was approved by a NRTL. It would be hard to enforce the codes if this equipment was allowed but other installations were in violation that were installing with flexible cable in a similar fashion but we're not part of some equipment. Am I wrong in thinking this way or is there some other logic I can use to clarify why an electrican cannot install equipment in this fashion but an equipment manufacturer can?

Thanks for the help!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
"Approval" of equipment and installations is an AHJ decision. In making that decision the AHJ will rely on the NEC and on listings. NEC 90.7 limits the inspectors role when it comes to listed factory installed wiring.
You are correct that C-E is not an OSHA recognized NRTLand it may or may not be acceptable to your AHJ.
Listed equipment and especially European equipment is built to a different standard from the NEC. The manufacturer using C-E standards may well feel that cord poses no hazard.
You will worry yourself to an early grave with concerns about pre-wired equipment not meeting NEC standards.

PetrosA

Seeing the cord connector on there indicates it's a complete assembly to me ;)

Considering that the cable is crane rated and thoroughly tested in it's market of origin and from a well known manufacturer I would be tempted to trust the safety of the assembly as an end user (but I won't speak to how an inspector should treat it).

CE markings may or may not mean much as they're self declared and don't have testing requirements. I think it's a good solution overall, but has been abused by shady manufacturers (mostly outside the EU importing to the EU). If we had something similar, we'd still be allowed to make a one-off lamp using all UL listed parts and sell it without having to get the lamp inspected by a UL rep.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't think C.E. Is approved by the NEC or OSHA?

Based on the NEC, I would have always considered this to be an NEC violation even if it was approved by a NRTL. It would be hard to enforce the codes if this equipment was allowed but other installations were in violation that were installing with flexible cable in a similar fashion but we're not part of some equipment. Am I wrong in thinking this way or is there some other logic I can use to clarify why an electrican cannot install equipment in this fashion but an equipment manufacturer can?

Thanks for the help!

Lets not forget that equipment made for US applications vs European applications are designed for different codes and different installation conditions to begin with. Not that one code is any better or safer then the other, but when you get into European wiring systems you have different standard overcurrent protection levels, conductor sizes, current leakage detection devices as well as different voltages for your typical household/desktop/countertop/etc. appliances then you have in the US. Equipment designed for one safety standard may not be as safe when installed in a different environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.