Thread: receptacle in flood zone

receptacle in flood zone

It is an elevator pit that requires a receptacle at the bottom of the pit, which is below the flood zone. Any way to do that?

My opinion is that some things should simply be designed for easy replacement in the event of a flood, rather than being 'flood resistant'.

The elevator pit receptacle is there for service and maintenance, not meant to be used when the building is flooded with water.

IMHO an ordinary GFCI receptacle installed in a non-corroding enclosure and non-corroding conduit would make the most sense, with the conduit routed out of the flood zone to an overhead junction box. That way, in the event of a flood, the thing could be quickly and cheaply replaced.

Unfortunately I don't believe that my opinion actually meets the requirements as written.

-Jon

Would it be allowed to be on a switch, so that it's not energized unless being used for maintenance?

Well you're required to have a switch and a light down there too and the lighting cannot be connected to the load side of a GFCI, so how were you planning on protecting them?
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyjwc View Post
    Well you're required to have a switch and a light down there too and the lighting cannot be connected to the load side of a GFCI, so how were you planning on protecting them?
    There seems to be options available for a waterproof light and switch. For the outlet I would agree with winnie just an outdoor gfi and cover and replace if it goes bad. The elevator inspector wants it down there and our NEC doesn't get into flood zones so not much choice as I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyjwc View Post
    I would assume the light, and especially the switch for that, could be significantly higher than the required receptacle. But it's been a decade since I helped build an elevator and I was just doing what they told me, so have never studied those codes.

Is this for in case the sump pump doesn't work or is overwhelmed? Or is there no sump pump, and it's dewatered by other means after a flood?

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I would assume the light, and especially the switch for that, could be significantly higher than the required receptacle. But it's been a decade since I helped build an elevator and I was just doing what they told me, so have never studied those codes.

Is this for in case the sump pump doesn't work or is overwhelmed? Or is there no sump pump, and it's dewatered by other means after a flood?
    No sump pump. Kinda funny because there is a drain in the floor that is to be closed since water can also come in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post

Those pits usually aren't that deep so not that much higher
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

Quote Originally Posted by winnie View Post
    ... an ordinary GFCI receptacle installed in a non-corroding enclosure and non-corroding conduit would make the most sense, with the conduit routed out of the flood zone to an overhead junction box. That way, in the event of a flood, the thing could be quickly and cheaply replaced. ...
    I'd go one step further and mount the GFCI up high in the dry zone, so you won't have a hot conductor submerged in floodwaters after the GFCI trips.

Something else that comes to mind is that 'flood resistant materials' are rather different if you are looking at energized versus grounded metal.

If (as suggested above) receptacle is not powered when underwater, then a receptacle could be selected which would likely survive underwater with no damage. After the flood rinse it out with clean water, dry it out, and power it up. As suggested above, use a blank face GFCI out of the flood zone and as soon as water hits it the power will be cut.

Most receptacles have steel yokes which will rust, but you can get them with corrosion-resistant construction. See:
    https://www.cableorganizer.com/image...tion-grade.pdf
    http://www.leviton.com/en/products/52CM-62

-Jon